NEW! RetroBike Tip of the Month!!!

I'm doing that right now! Onto my 3rd SS conversion. Probably do one more making half my bikes SS! :D

orange71":2n49kwyc said:
Best stuff is the Swarfega with the 'bits' in it - more abrasive... personally I use latex gloves (worries my wife!)...

Cheap alternative is washing up liquid with a spoon of sugar in it.

When your rear tyre starts to ware change it with the front as the front wares far slower. Then you get even tyre ware and you don't have spend ££ on replacing the rear to soon :D

One more tip for the grips installation / removing:

-Use pressurized air!

You can buy air cans meant for example cleaning up computer components & other electrical parts from dust. The cans normally come with a long nozzle which you can slip under the grip. Use it to create an "air pillow" between the grip and the bar and you'll slip the grip in (or out) without hassling with any soaps or hairsprays...

Mark_h4dng":1lfbvnma said:
orange71":1lfbvnma said:
Best stuff is the Swarfega with the 'bits' in it - more abrasive... personally I use latex gloves (worries my wife!)...

Cheap alternative is washing up liquid with a spoon of sugar in it.

Classic car tip... Biological washing powder for when your hands are black. You must use cream after and not do it too often but it works a treat when all else fails!

Stick your tyres in the washing machine on a cool (30 degree) wash - they come out lovely and no scrubbing required.

(it may be idea to make sure the wife is out and bribe the kids to not grass you up though :LOL: )

MadCowKev":1gb99eqy said:
Stick your tyres in the washing machine on a cool (30 degree) wash - they come out lovely and no scrubbing required.

(it may be idea to make sure the wife is out and bribe the kids to not grass you up though :LOL: )

Don't forget to take them off the wheel first!! :LOL:

Put cassettes in the dishwasher - brings them up a treat on a short cycle (hah - pun intended)

Would probably work for mechs, brakes etc. too.

Make sure you rinse thoroughly afterwards and re-grease though!

Back