Why don't YOU use the retrobike archive.

Why don't YOU use the retrobike archive.

• I do use the archive

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Didn't know it existed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poor search results in google

• Hard to navigate and use

• Don't like the stuff in it

• Total voters
maybe a more thumbnail based page is the way forward

or even a text index

I often use the archive when I know roughly what I'm looking for, but I do find it a bit slow to navigate through for general browsing. I mainly use it for the catalogues and Manufacturer Archive but I don't think I've ever really used it to access or search User Albums mostly because they rely on everyone to provide accurate keywords.

Having material available in PDF format is brilliant too and I've downloaded plenty of stuff while I've been a member of the forum. I would like to provide more stuff for upload too, once I get round to scanning more stuff from my old magazines.

I do prefer the simple navigation and layout at http://mtb-kataloge.de for example when it comes to finding what I'm looking for.

That said I think it is a fantastic resource for everyone. :cool:

I do use it but is is quite slow and not easy to find things, it is a great resource though.

My user gallery filled up very quickly and I never got round to asking for more space as I used links to flickr, this means some of the images on the site can get lost, this is a shame for rarer items.

A search page similar to auction watch might be quite nice.

Echoing everyone else. I do use it - but it's not so often I need to.

The times I do, I find it pretty slow to navigate my way around.

legrandefromage":5wy25hl6 said:
half the stuff I try to access has a little broken icon on it - its prob Windows Vista getting its revenge.

Just a quick reply to this, is this still happening as I know a man who, a couple of days ago, recently spent some time doing silly computer things to fix this as the pdf's thumb-nailing gizmo was broken. I'm sure John wouldn't mind knowing what still broken with his fix ;)

Some good feedback, many thanks. Will have another good read through and post a considered response.

Quick reply to LGF (and anyone else having issues). As FC says I spent a lot of time fixing the gallery up so the thumbnails would all be present. I believe there are 7 items out of the 13000 for which thumbnail (re)creation failed. If you find one please let me know...

I use it daily.

John, I have a suggestion for a new archive format. It would require some work to move things, but has a strong added benefit of introducing Retrobike to a wider set of people. You'd save on bandwidth too.

Details to follow in PM.

Back