Powdercoat "Chrome" Chromax finish - anyone tried

dvines

Dirt Disciple
Powdercoat "Chrome" Chromax finish - anyone tried

I have heard that powder coaters can do a powdercoat "chrome" style finish thats called Chromax. (?)

i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this ?

(and who did it ?)

I am assuming that it is less destructive to the frame as it is some kind of polymer based product that just melts when baked after the pwpowder has been sprayed on.

Does anyone know if this can be sprayed over/around with a wet-paint such as might be necessary when getting lugs/fork crowns chromed and then the frame painted ?

Re: Powdercoat "Chrome" Chromax finish - anyone tr

dvines":1trcgumh said:
I have heard that powder coaters can do a powdercoat "chrome" style finish thats called Chromax. (?)

i was wondering if anyone has any experience of this ?

(and who did it ?)

I am assuming that it is less destructive to the frame as it is some kind of polymer based product that just melts when baked after the pwpowder has been sprayed on.

Does anyone know if this can be sprayed over/around with a wet-paint such as might be necessary when getting lugs/fork crowns chromed and then the frame painted ?

I'm also aware of this chrome-esque powder. Never considered it for such appilcations. Be interesting to know your findings.

I can offer some second hand comments.

A mate was getting some split rim alloys refurbished and was offered chrome paint on the lips of the rims. He says it is very very shiney silver, much shinier than normal paint but not as mirrorlike as chrome.

He decided against it.

I'd ask your coater for an example of the finished, er, finish.

Re: Powdercoat "Chrome" Chromax finish - anyone tr

dvines":37rrj67y said:

I asked my powder-coater about applying a chrome finish to an old crank that I was refurbishing. He recommended against it because the chrome tends to chip more easily than the regular metallic powder-coat colors. That might be a non-issue with lugs, though, since they see less abuse.

Back