Cotic Soul

The Sanderson Life's claimed weight is 4.6lbs for the size 18, while the Cotic Soul's claimed weight is 4.4lbs for size 17.5. I wouldn't say that difference is much to be concerned about. It might show through as the Life feeling a little steadier than the Soul, or you might not notice it at all. The Soul used to have a claimed weight of 4.2lbs, but I think they have made it a little stronger in recent years.

What surprises me is that Sanderson don't say on their website what length of fork the frame is designed for. They say the head angle is 70, but that is a totally meaningless statement if you don't know what fork would give you that head angle.

The Soul is quoted at 70 with a 100mm fork sagged 25mm. Again that is moving with the times, as they used to build them to give 71 with a 100mm fork, so they've moved it slacker. They say it would be fine with a 140mm fork, but with say 40mm sag the head angle would be 68.5, which is getting a bit too slack for some people.

I know which of the two outfits I would take more seriously.

Cotic love here too, had my Simple for 18 months.

3182448221_4f17cac3af_b.jpg

How about the good old On One Inbred [100mm fork]

They are as cheap as chips [165 quid] and look nice quality too!

Cheers,

Chaser.

yeah, had a look.

damned cool, but I need a lighter bike for commuting plus trail riding fun!

don't really fancy riding 10 miles to work on the on one!

just pulled out of buying nice second hand 16" Cotic Soul - older model, but had v brake bosses and disk mounts - ugly! and also quite a ding in the down tube.

My quest continues, hopefully I am not doomed to ride a Boardman for ever!

;)

Just had a weekend in the Yorkshire Dales with my Soul. Rode some very rocky downhill sections and not a wiff of complaint from the bike. Didn't keep up with a full susser and one of Peaty's old bikes but that was probably more down to me than the Cotic! Second to that, the rider with the full sus also rides trial bikes and loved it.

Get one, it's the best bike frame you could buy without going full suspension.

Trevor.

callookuk":v8clco6z said:
yeah, had a look.

damned cool, but I need a lighter bike for commuting plus trail riding fun!

don't really fancy riding 10 miles to work on the on one!

just pulled out of buying nice second hand 16" Cotic Soul - older model, but had v brake bosses and disk mounts - ugly! and also quite a ding in the down tube.

My quest continues, hopefully I am not doomed to ride a Boardman for ever!

;)

16" inbred is less than 5lbs! less that 1/2 pound different to the Cotic.. fraction of the cost too.

Cheers,

Chaser.

ah but does it feel light and springy to ride?

I guess I am trying to buy the ultimate steel HT, for second hand money.

Rather than a sensible, good value frame :)

Appreciate all the advice though!

I would think it rides similar to the Cotic... remember the Cotic is built for a 140mm fork and the inbred is for 100mm.

There is quite a big following so its easy to find reviews.

I'm going for an Inbred 456 soon, this takes the longer forks but it is heavier than regular Inbred though.

Cheers,

Chaser

Even a 5lbs steel frame can make a nice light 24-26lib bike with careful speccing.

More comfy than alu or carbon too - I have had them all!

My Saracen which has a 5lbs frame and almost 4lbs for is 24lbs 2 oz!

Cheers,

Chaser.

Back