Handlebars

I believe the mx bars is stronger because they have much thicker walls, wich is not ideal for mtb`s because of the weight. The OS bars is probably a result of combining strength and low weight on freeride and DH bikes. Stiffnes is probably an issue too. At least thats my theory.
I think azonic made their first OS bars in the late nineties.

Bars

Yes they are very much heavier guage and proportionately heavier, but then all th e propietry 31.8 brs are heavier than the equivalent 25.4 model. 31.8 are stiffer, but this can also easily be achieved, by thicker walls, wider stem clamp/double stem clamp as per Syntace/Cannondale or a welded brace. But do you really need stiffer? A bit of flex reduces trail buzz and takes the harshness off big hits.
I suppose it's a bit like riser bars instead of flat bars/riser stem that they replaced. All a matter of trend really.

Re: Bars

Wold Ranger":36dmyke5 said:
I suppose it's a bit like riser bars instead of flat bars/riser stem that they replaced. All a matter of trend really.

:evil: Now don't get me started flat bars or riser bars. You hit it on the head 'All a matter of trend' One year this or that is 'in' Well i don't care whats in or out. I'm staying with what i like.

OS bars don't have to be heavier. Klein proved that with his OS framed bikes just make it thin walled

like the death of XT thumbshifters 25.4mm bars will be phased out over time. Thomson for example have no interest in making their X4 stems in 25.4mm

Actualy i see this as a good thing.. Since there is a new standard to the handlebars on mountainbikes made to day,
that will make the good old flat bar even more retro. Im not sure if that came out right, but you probably get the point.

Skinny bars

Aaaaah! T'was a time when skinny/minimalistic was in!
I have had a couple of Phat tubed frames. a Klein and a 'Dale, neither lasted long, the Klein tubing cracked and fell to bits ,the 'dale got twisted, just with hard riding and the ride quality UUghh! so harsh with no spring.
Give me skinny quality steel tubes any day! No wonder "On One" are doing so well!!

Back