1997 Kona Cinder Cone - New Pic's (lots) update 13-07-10

I got my front wheel back finally! Very pleased to have a free rim upgrade to boot (XC717) and only had to pay for the spokes. All in cost me £16 :LOL:

For those that aren't aware of the wheel saga I'll post a link to my original build thread. You can also see how the project started and developed over the months...

Here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73604

Should have her ridable in a couple of weeks. Cant wait! :D

Re: 1997 Kona Cinder Cone.

Bike looks amazing, just about to begin my quest to restore/rebuild my 1991 Cinder Cone. Just trying to establish how much it will all cost me! :eek:

Do I keep it original or update it to look as amazing as yours!?!?

How much roughly does a full set of Decals cost from Gil? where can I contact him?

Re: 1997 Kona Cinder Cone.

rob.mac":1vchxvx9 said:
Bike looks amazing, just about to begin my quest to restore/rebuild my 1991 Cinder Cone. Just trying to establish how much it will all cost me! :eek:

Do I keep it original or update it to look as amazing as yours!?!?

How much roughly does a full set of Decals cost from Gil? where can I contact him?

I think you can do a member search or use the google search option in the top right corner to find Gil.

If I had a 91 Cinder Cone I wouldn't go too modern on it. Perhaps with the exception of the gears and brakes. Otherwise no later than '95 on the rest. Saying that, it is your bike and ultimately its up to you to decide what you like. By all means ask others their opinion but remember its you bike so make how you want it.

Spent several hours chasing out the BB threads 'ghetto style' with a sharp blade (tedious). Eventually after making my own special tool for the Hope BB cups I got it installed. So I put a chain on her and set both the mech's so I could run a single fixed gear. As the forks aren't properly fettled and I dont have a pump I made another bodge so I could at least take the bike for a gentle cruise around the block. This involved wrapping 2 old coil springs from an old fork in heatshrink, then dropping them in the air chamber on one leg. Dont worry I did it in such a way as to cause no damage to the internals.

She felt nimble and light a I couldn't stop going for the downshift trigger even though I knew it wasn't there! It was lovely to finally turn those XC duos and hear the Contis buzzing on the tarmac! Cant wait to get her on the trails!!!! :twisted:

Now she's got the proper front wheel and the gold bling KMC chain on she really looking the part. I'll get some new pics up as soon as I can.

Still a way off being properly rideable though.....

New pics :cool:

I put the monkeylites on because I felt the front end was bit too low. Still a few things to fettle before its properly rideable but shes 95% there. The second hand XTR cassette is slipping, will have to buy a new one :cry:

p1011133.jpg

p1011138.jpg

p1011136.jpg

p1011134.jpg

Thanks WD :)

Still a few niggles to sort out like the slipping cassette (worn) and what appears to be slightly warped disk spiders. Might try shimming the rotors. Failing that I'll ask Hope for some new ones, you never know.

Brakes need bleeding which is new territory to me.

Forks need a little modification too. I'm running year 2000 SID XC internals in 1998 uppers. The inner diameter of the stanchion is different between the 2000 XC & 98 SID. Basically to work it needs the 2000 shafts modified slightly to accept the 98 air pistons. The reason for doing this is to achieve 80mm travel with externally adjustable rebound damping as found on the 2000 SID XC. The 2000 internal are also a tad lighter. It should work fine. I even have a NOS 1998 SID rebuild kit with all new seals :)

Back