1999 Orange Gringo.

boy"O"boy

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
The boy'O'boy budget build.

Back in November last year my brother mentioned he'd like a bike to take his kids out with and was asking for my advice on some BSO he'd seen in Tescos/Asda and was it good value? - naturally I told him not to waste his money and I could build him up a bike that would be far better than any 'gaspipe' special he could get for £150. - made more difficult by his words 'In that case I want an Orange like yours then!'

The challenge was on.

1. Orange Gringo frame sourced from ebay for a barginous £30. Aluminium frame, wishbone stay, bright yellow finish- not pristine but good condition.

2. Offered a complete 2002 Specialized Rockhopper AL for £30 :shock: in terrible condition as a donor bike. Complete with Rockshox Judy's and a pair of Panaracer Fire XC pro's. Tyres robbed straight away for my Scott scale. Scott donates it's original tyres.

3. Strip donor bike. Spend 1 weekend cleaning parts in kitchen sink! Realise donor frame is actually in pretty good condition and give it a good clean and T-Cut.

4. Sell Specialized frame for £30. :cool:

5. Build Gringo up. Outlay £70 on chain/cassette/seatpost/cables and attempt to set up. Something not right so give to LBS for investigation.

6. Derailleurs from years of neglect on donor bike are absolutely knackered. Outlay another £70 on new front & rear mechs and V- brake blocks

7. Completed bike.
Total outlay £170 -
properly set-up, far better than any supermarket self assembly 'special'

One happy brother :cool:

Cheers,
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• 101_0294 (640x480).jpg
    101_0294 (640x480).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 4,403
  • 101_0292 (640x480).jpg
    101_0292 (640x480).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4,403
  • 101_0293 (640x480).jpg
    101_0293 (640x480).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 4,403
EarlofBarnet":3bxvwvx0 said:
Excellent value for money. Not one I'd be in a hurry to sell.

Hopefully he'll use it and look after it! - I'm just glad he didn't waste his money on BSO tat. - Well worth a curry and beers when I deliver it to him. :cool:

cheers,
boy"O"boy

thats truly superb! let us know what he thinks of it, and whether he gets you a curry?
i like the gringo frames
im glad he didnt get a bso, one less to worry about!

Nowt wrong with a Gringo. I used to have one until it got nick, then I replaced it with another one and that got nicked too when my car was nicked.

It was a nice bike (now replaced with another Orange).

Gringo's are great bikes, I had an '03 one, loved it.

It's the bike that got me back into biking after a long break.

Your bro will enjoy every minute in the saddle, great build for the cash too.

Latest posts

Back