Fork question

Gonzalez

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Yes sorry I know I should have put all these on the same thread, don't slate me!
I think I've done alrite for a newbie and got most of my Saracen Hydro apart, except the forks, anyone help please?!! undone all the bolts/nuts, I suppose it needs some pursuasion?

Only other problem I have is getting a brake lever off (allen bolt has been rounded, and getting the deore gear levers off- they start ripping my handle bars to shreds when I try to move them, do I need to bend them apart? won't this weaken the brackets?.....questions questions.

can't help much. no body i should hope would slate you here. As for the rounded hex bolt in the lever that will have to be drilled out and replaced with a new one.

Gonzo

All you need to do is ask nicely and i would've given you some tips...to remove rounded bolts you can put a saw cut across the head of the bolt, then use a flat headed screw driver to remove said bolt..or alternatively (as tintin40 said) is to drill out before you remove too much allloy from those bars - although that could save a few grams. :LOL:

If you're stripping down the bike, you must remove those forks and regrease as they take a lot of hammer of the years...!!

Longy

Longy

Mmm yes I would like to remove the forks, the idea being that someone tells me how, rather than reiterate that I need to remove them :roll:
it's the gear brackets that are scratching the bars not the brake lever :roll:
Your tip may work but not this time as the nut is sunken :roll:

ps why do you have an amp as your avatar??? it's not retrotrainavreceiverspotternerd.com you know :shock:

Gonz

Hey Gonzo

To remove forks undo headset, take off all spacers and nuts, forks will slip out, if not gently tap (with a block of wood to protect head tube) on the threaded area and out they will pop.

That's no amp - that be a LASERDISC player (circa 1997), i thought you know your AV gear - clealy not! :LOL:

That website you refer to is: retroavgearforsaddos.org :LOL:

Thanks Longy, you can bob over to mine and sort it for me if you like (forks) cus it ain't appenin for me!

longendale":1vihxnfi said:
Gonzo

All you need to do is ask nicely and i would've given you some tips...to remove rounded bolts you can put a saw cut across the head of the bolt, then use a flat headed screw driver to remove said bolt..

I hadn't thought of that one. Great that should solve my problem with a stuck water bottle hex nut. Thanks 'longendale' :D

tintin40

no probs..that's what the forums all about - glad i could help out..watch the tubes with the hack saw. ;)

longy

Back