Boulder Suspension

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
You can work on your German with this review on a fun bike; the Boulder Suspension

bo1720.jpg

bo2720.jpg

Page 3
Page 4

BIKE Sept91

Didn't Boulder also do a Ti version of their bike...looked soooo sweet :)

Rich

Mmmm. very nice. Wonder how they actually rode.

What sort of shock was hidden in the top tube?

Boulder Bikes

The shock that is shown in what is known as the 'Works Performance' shock, which to the best of my knowledge is a Boulder made shock. It is an oil/ coil shock, that you can change the pre-load by disconnecting it from the swing-arm and turning the shaft. The connection between the shock and the swing-arm is a motorcycle chain master link. It is easy to take off and put back on (and just as importantly it is cheap and readily available- not some hard to get custom part).

I had one of these shocks in my Boulder Intrepid. I don't have any pics of it, but think of a Yeti Ultimate with a shock in the top-tube and a pivot at the chain stay/ down tube.

Boulders also came out with a Risse Racing Genesis, which is a simple air oil set up. There was also the option for an upgraded "Clyde-Glyde' model, which has a larger air volume, so it runs at a lower pressure, and tends to be a better shock over all.

The Works Performance shock had a plusher ride IMO, but the Risse was way lighter, and gave a firmer, more like a hard tail like ride. The Intrepid had 3.25 inches of travel, and the Starships have 3/4/5 inches of travel depending on which model you bought.

I have a Boulder Starship Ti, and think it is the best short travel bike I’ve ridden. I've ridden bikes that have twice the travel, but the Boulder still feels better (3" of good suspension is better than 6" of bad suspension).

Boulder is still around, though the site hasn't been updated in years. http://www.boulderbikes.com/

If you are bored look at look at the following bikes and test your retro knowledge and see if you can name all the parts :)

http://www.boulderbikes.com/defiant_lg.htm
http://www.boulderbikes.com/starship_lt_lg.htm

Attachments

• Starship - Ti.jpg
    Starship - Ti.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5,270
Can they be considered as the first offering a proper Full Suspension bike?

@LQQK
Cool bike you have!

I were wondering, you say Boulder is still in business, but I learned somewhere they weren't and it is only the site that's running :?:

check this INTREPID TITANIUM...
...and it's FORE SALE!
complete or as frame/fork(mag21)

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 5,224
Sweet!

That Intrepid is sweet!
I had a black cro-mo (4130)one, slightly different to the Ti frame in the pic, there was no extra brace between the seat tube and top tube. I just couldn't afford a Ti one at that stage (Iwas doing the back packing around the world thing).

The Starship has an aluminium swing arm, to get a Ti swing arm I was told it is a US$1300 upgrade!

Where is this one for sale?

Re: Sweet!

LQQK":1wsu6obv said:
That Intrepid is sweet!
I had a black cro-mo (4130)one, slightly different to the Ti frame in the pic, there was no extra brace between the seat tube and top tube. I just couldn't afford a Ti one at that stage (Iwas doing the back packing around the world thing).

The Starship has an aluminium swing arm, to get a Ti swing arm I was told it is a US$1300 upgrade!

Where is this one for sale?

it's for sale in Holland (only on the other side of the planet :? )

btw sure yours wasn't a defiant 4130??

Latest posts

Back