What were your 'people' riding BITD?

Hmm, sixth form 94ish??
I had a Trek 830 then a Trek 930.
My mate had a Marin Muirwoods, the funny non scratch paint one, then a Cannondale SuperV carbon swing arm, polished with Spin front wheel. His older brother had a GT Karakorum and a Delta V2000 full suss with Ritchey kit. I was very envious of both of them :evil:

Mad Cow Racing started around 1989/1990 with:

Mad Cow Tony - Raleigh Mirage
Mad Cow Graham - Raleigh (USA) Technium Chill
Mad Cow Pete - Peugot thing? (Can't remember exactly what but it was cheap)

In 1991 we started racing properly and it progressed to:

MCT - Cannondale SM1000 (the one I've still got)
MCG - Kona thing (it was a grey import from Germany in Snot Green, might have been an Expolsif)?
MCP - Stumpjumper (in wicked pink/purple custom paint job)

Mad Cow Kev had joined us as our team Junior by then and I think he had a Diamond Back of some description (I'm sure he can confirm that).

Team Youth, Mad Cow Sam also joined with his no name, mail order Tiawanese aluminium frame that broke a lot :D

1992 specialized s-works steel. nuke proof hubs which quickly broke, then white industries, cook bros rsr cranks & syncros ti bb (both broke) bonty ti 118 & pg bars (both broke) M900 shifter/brakes, cantis, (dabbled with IRD) M900 mechs.

then fat chance titanium, dura ace headset, cook bros stem, pace rc130 bar (broke) warranty replaced by hyperlites, american classic post (broke) ringle moby, white industries hubs replaced my XT front hub, hugi rear hub tioga disc drive pro (yeh obviously which broke). sugino 900 cranks (spider warped) replaced XT, fuquay fork legs in mag21 crown, replaced mag21 forks, M900 cantis, shifters/levers/mechs, onza oz bar ends, ringle cages.

I had a Rocky Altitude with M900/ceramics/USE/Syncros/Grafton/Ringle/ti etc..

Mates had..
TiBolt/Disc Drive
Rocky Altitude
Rocky Altitude
Rocky Equipe
Marin Team Ti
Cannondale V thing
Konas
Orange things etc.
All pretty bling stuff really. Lived the dream when it was real...
:D

My first real mountainbike that wasnt a modified kids bike or a bmx, was a Nakamura zenith. with lx specs, grip shift and a Duotrack suspensionfork. This is probably one of the worst forx ever produced, but it looked awesome, and that was the most important thing back then. It was 95 and i was twelwe

gump":dxda2p1s said:
I had a Rocky Altitude with M900/ceramics/USE/Syncros/Grafton/Ringle/ti etc..

Mates had..
TiBolt/Disc Drive
Rocky Altitude
Rocky Altitude
Rocky Equipe
Marin Team Ti
Cannondale V thing
Konas
Orange things etc.
All pretty bling stuff really. Lived the dream when it was real...
:D

Bloody hell one of your mates had a Ti-Bolt! Any pics? Have they still got it? The last bike I need to complete my 'dream bike BITD' collection (hah. As if - would complete it for a month or two...!)

Mad Cow":1jj6bc4l said:
Mad Cow Kev had joined us as our team Junior by then and I think he had a Diamond Back of some description (I'm sure he can confirm that).

I had a Diamond Back Axis Team - full XT! Went through various states of evolution, frames, forks (Manitou and Accutrax) tyres. Regularly seen in MBUK :LOL:

MCG - Kona thing (it was a grey import from Germany in Snot Green, might have been an Expolsif)

It was an Explosif with DX. Very nice and yes a 'grey import' from Germany. I sold it to him at Pedal Power - night before the 91 Malvern Classics. He came 3rd in the Dual Slalom on it - got beat by some bloke called Jason in the semis IIRC!

Team Youth, Mad Cow Sam also joined with his no name, mail order Tiawanese aluminium frame that broke a lot :D

Sam's frame wasn't mail order - I sold it to him too :oops: :oops:

Before joining MCR I rode with guys at school/college - they rode

Doddy - a B.R.G 753 Fuquay with Campag Icarus (only groupset I've ever seen)
Simon - original Proflex with Suntour and Pro Circuit Forks (remember them?)
Dan - Kona Explosif
Ben T- Klein Attitude
Ben D - Mongoose (like JT's)
Paddy - Klein Rascal (most technically inept rider I've ever known - fell off more than Hilts!)
Fish - Cannondale

1992 onwards... In fact I'll reel off my school mates bikes that we used for the Wheelwright coast to coast in 1996 to celebrate finishing GCSE's!

Me - Green/green fade 92 Rockhopper Comp with LX/DX level bits. Upgrades - Rockshox quadra forks (originals), Use ti seatpost, Onza SPDs, Flite saddle, x-lite bar ends. Still in use as my girls gearie MTB but now 'red wine' colour and with V's, bombers and risers.

Dave - GT RTS ?2? with RS Mag ?10?, mostly XT. Just bought before the ride as an upgrade on a 91 Rockhopper. kinda browny colour. bent rear triangle during ride and got it straightened at a frame builders in north yorkshire i think - ribble? on the ride! Gone long time ago, Spz Sworks M5 now..

Howie - 93/94 Cindercone, green, factory spec, pain in the ass Kona cantis, still in use with original spec apart from new rear tyre and split grips held with yellow elecrtician tape (he's a doctor now so on about 100k a year so can't afford new grips...)!

Craig - fairly standard GT timberline, 91ish, splatter white paint, ex MBUK demo. Think it's still going...

Ben - Orange ally O polished with 1 1/4 headset, XT, Xlite ti etc and Pace RC30 forks (which I bought and have on a bonty!). Gone a long time ago, poss has an Orange p7 now?

Pete - Apollo Krakatoa or similar - GT triple triangle rip off, 200gs bits, freehub packed in and had to a) run up hills with it (my job) and freewheel down to the nights yha, b) buy a new wheel from biketreks in ambleside, c) post the old one home! Still owns but has a late 90s silver and orange marin full susser too.

Ah, brings back memories! We tried to do a rerun 10 years on last year but getting everyone off work at the same time proved impossible...

ian

When I was at school:

Me: 92 GT Tequesta. Black with white splatter, biopace & U-brake.
S: KHS Montana Pro
L: Kona Lava Dome
I: Saracen Tufftrax
J: Parkpre (forget which)

I had:
1989 Emmelle Cortina XL with mountain LX
a Kona Explosiv 1990ish with splatter paint- DX group
An orange prestige silver/purple with campag, pace, xt
a Concorde Aquila (?) in between bikes
a 1992 attitude ( now in single speed mode)

Back