1976 Joe Breeze road bike

ededwards":3r8pruuf said:
Any idea who this was built for and how it was used?

It belongs to the original owner, a Velo Club Tamalpais member and one of the original "Repack" racers, who moved out of the area some 30 years ago, and recently returned. He still rides it.

If you have seen "Klunkerz," the owner is the kid shown bandaged and bleeding from the head after an early Repack race while the voice-over
(Bob Burrowes) intones, "We used to keep first-aid kits stashed along the trail..."

Ritchey tandem

ferrus":my56g1g5 said:
Apologies for moving off topic, but do any photo's exist of the tandem Tom Ritchey built for Joe and Otis Guy's coast to coast record attempt?
- Man, that's something many folks would love to see! Do you know what happened to that bike, or was it not actually built in the end?

Let's see if I can upload these....

As our 1976 trans-con attempt, our 1979 attempt ended short too. However that bike was built. In fact (in fat), I had Ritchey incorporate my Breezer twin-lateral bridge design into this tandem. When Otis and I visited Tom Ritchey in January 1979 I brought along my Breezer. That was his first chance to try out a mountain bike. As you can imagine, he was floored.

Before we left SF for NYC, Anchor Steam's graphics guy painted the mark on the BB tube. BTW, that's a 62-tooth ring.

-Joe[/url]

Attachments

• Otis&Joe1Anchor1979M3.jpg
    Otis&Joe1Anchor1979M3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,420
  • 79Ritchey AnchorStm bike trani5m.jpg
    79Ritchey AnchorStm bike trani5m.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,420
like OMG!, is that like really Joe Breeze on this forum, WOW!

ermm sorry, got a tad repack struck then, ermm thanks for everything Joe,
one day will have me a breezer ;)

Beautiful bikes, I wouldn't have made it out of san Francisco with that sponsorship deal , lovely beer.

cchris2lou":3d2k401b said:
very nice .

did he carry on making road bikes or only MTb ?

Yes, we did drift off topic. To get back to CK's initial off-the-offroad topic, here are a few pics of 'Joe Breeze' road bikes I was building around the time of my 'Breezer' mountain bikes.

The blue one is Marc Vendetti's first one from 1976. The one CK posted was Marc's from 1977. In 1973, Marc turned me on to fat-tire bikes.

The all black one I built for Otis Guy in 1978. It was my first fillet-brazed frame. I made an internal wedge for the seat post.

The polished steel frame I made for a sculpture show in 1980.

The black one with chrome lugs I made in 1982.

All photos are by Mush Emmons.

-Joe

PS--Looks like there may be a limit to photo uploads. If anyone wants to see the other photos just let me know.

Attachments

• JBreeze003MaV76bike1m5.jpg
    JBreeze003MaV76bike1m5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,988
  • JBreeze003MaV76DOm5.jpg
    JBreeze003MaV76DOm5.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,988
  • JBreeze003MaV76HTm5.jpg
    JBreeze003MaV76HTm5.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,988
  • JBreeze005OG78bikeM5.jpg
    JBreeze005OG78bikeM5.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1,988
The photo limit is per post so you can add more here, alternatively you can display as many photos as you like in one post by hosting them on the likes of flickr or photobucket, you use the tag that they supply you with.

Or you can send them to me and I'll do it for you, that way I can say I worked for you on my résumé :) - email address in my profile.

Back