What were your 'people' riding BITD?

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I remember when I was at 6th form college and riding and racing regularly my friends and I had some fairly posh bikes. It is the period my bikes come from.

I just thought it may be interesting to hear what bikes were in vogue with your friends when retro was new. Repack riders response should be inteesting...

Me, Dyna Tech Quantum, Dyna Tech 625Ti road bike.

My friends:
GB Pace RC200F1 (we all thought he was a git!), Dyna Tech Ogre XT
TS Cannondale M2000, Koga road bike with 105sc
MG Diamond Back Axis (may have been an apex) XT
VG Orange Clockwork LX, Raleigh Pirsuit road bike with a real mix and match but it worked! (He was also the fittest and the only bloke who still wore Oakley Razorblades long after we all got M-Frames! :LOL: )

ooh - now given we were students and money was tight... this was 1991/2

Proflex 752
Orange 'O'
Raleigh Summit
Diamondback Topanga (yes, that was impecunious me!)

My proper ride was a 1993 Marin Eldridge Grade, fully pimped including RC-30's Hope Ti hubs and BB, red z-max, etc. Damn I miss than bike. I am on the look out for another one to turn into a replica.

my mate was ridind a green gt tequesta with shed load of anodised purple and i had a cannondale delta v 1000 that got pinched and replaced by a killer v 800. that was in 98. :cool: my cousin still has that killer v now from when i sold it to him in 2002! its still looking showroom mint.
and there as fella who rode a full sus voodoo that i can't remember the name of.

mainly diamond backs and cheap raleighs i was the only kid with a decent bike with my kona lavadome fully tricked m900 with carbon mech cage hope hubs scott at4's! I did know lots of guys with decent bikes through the shop i worked in we all raced breezers hence my love of them! my dad has my original sky but he wont part with it ever! oh and my riding buddy was Cy turner who set up and owns Cotic cycles still have a set of his brakes he made and a hub somewhere useless as the holes arent offset! hes doing a little better now!

Marin team (mine, a few years old by this point)
GT Karokoram
Trek 930
Trek 8300? i think
Kona lavadome (used to be mine but sold to a friend)
Raleigh Mtrax 100
and a totally customised dynatech something or other which was probably the lightest of the lot.

this would have been 96 through to 99 (the period my bikes come from :) )

Umm my memory of other people's machines is somewhat hazy but I can recall:

93ish Specialized Rockhopper
Saracen something or other. Tufftrax, Rufftrax, can't remember!
A couple of Orange C16R's
Gorgeous nickel plated Orange P7
93 Lava Dome (tricked out to the max with XTR and every bolt red alloy)
A Trek 7000 which I didn't like. Turns out I didn't like the owner much in the end either!

Problem I find now is not remembering the bikes we rode - but the people that rode them. Forgotten a lot of people along the way but the 'intimates' that I remember:

Me - '92 GT Avalanche
AM - '92 Klein Attitude, later replaced with Manitou HT, '87 Stumpie
JH - '91 Lavadome
RG - '91 ('92?) Clockwork
MH - '92 GT Zaskar

Then it gets hazy, but I remember another Kona or two, a Salsa, a couple of Dynatechs, a Marin, a Rocky Mountain Vertex, A Cano and an RTS-2 and a Kirk.

Me and my gang was '87 Muddy Fox Couriers and Explorers. An '85 or '86 Saracen Kili Flyer and a gorgeous DiNucci Green '87 Spesh Stumpy. a couple of Ridgeback 601's and one very looked up in awe at Cannondale.

And the Roadie boys had a smattering of Peugeot's. Perthus Pro's, Tourmalet's, (the cheap 10spd one that was pearl white - Alpine? - Like the Ranger but a road frame). And the odd Pinnarello or Rosin.

and in 1987 round my way, you fell into one camp or the other. But both read Bicycle Action magazine. Ha ha.

Back