Scottish based knowledge needed

Sounds about right pricewise, I'd be wary of the lot that wanted you to strip the frame yourself. If they were prepared to powder it without preppin it themselves I'd say they have some fairly poor practices.

I've met a few powder-coaters with that practice recently, it's because their main business is new metal coating, apparently chemical stripping hits all sorts of emission regulations so lots have stopped doing it.

I don't think that affects bead-blasting though, my local powder-coaters stopped that because there was very little demand.

I've decided that powder coating is a half arsed way to do it and only considered it as I reckoned it would be a lot cheaper.

After much research I've discovered I can get the frame stripped and repainted by Bob Jacksons in Leeds for only £65. They also offer a pick up and delivery service on resprays for £30. Bob Jackson frames have always looked super smart and beautifully finished so I reckon that's the way to go.

Peace of mind of proper old school bike craftsmen doing it plus a 12 month guarantee on any work done.

Enid_Puceflange":1q2udjkk said:
Anyway, I had a frame re-finished by Henderson's in Peirshill , maybe 15yrs ago

Good job but wasnt cheap :shock:

Google them bud or yell.co.uk :cool:

G

I'm just back from visiting them, turns out they do rather lovely paint jobs on frames using a special 2 pack paint, and even showed my one they had just done.

So I'll be handing it over to the in a couple of weeks for a strip, blast and paint.

Colour? I wanted orange and by sheer chance they have a tin of a special orange they got made up for doing a batch of frames for Irn Bru recently.

So Irn Bru orange, even the correct pantone number for it.

£70 all in which seems not to bad at all.

Does anybody know a powder coater who will do a bike frame in the Fife area? I need to get a Stumpy (steel frame) painted - unfortunately my girl ordered a blue and green colour scheme!!! Such a custom job will probably cost an arm and a leg.

I've also contemplated a rattle can job but I'm scared of making a mess of it! Just for interest sake, do you need to apply a gloss lacquer layer to a rattle can job? I was thing along the lines of a Hammerrite base, 2 x layers of selected colour and 1 x lacquer layer....

Cheers,
Bertie

Lambert

Kingdom Coatings
Unit 3
Block 3
Banbeath Ind Est
Leven
Fife
KY8 5HD

01333 439943

They do all my motorbike stuff and he takes good care ;)

RobMac":3mgd8ae1 said:
Lambert

Kingdom Coatings
Unit 3
Block 3
Banbeath Ind Est
Leven
Fife
KY8 5HD

01333 439943

They do all my motorbike stuff and he takes good care ;)

......now you've got me thinking :idea:

Stupid, impatient me. Thought that I was good enough to do a rattle can job. Came out ok until I've decided that the paint is dry enough... The paint was NOT dry. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Robmac - thanks for the info. I'll contact the guys as soon as I feel like looking at the frame again.

B

Back