Alpinestars can you tell me more about this bike?

mike_eb

Retro Guru
This has popped up for sale back home. I have already contacted a friend to see if they can grab it for me before the auction ends. Could be a cool project when I get back from sailing in Norway. The seller has not given the model name but it is kitted with XT groupset.

Any ideas on the model or comments from anyone who has owned one appreciated. :cool:

Attachments

• 46630506_full.jpg
    46630506_full.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,314
  • 46630506_full.jpg
    46630506_full.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 4,314
It's an Alpinestar T-24, the idea was to allow shorter riders to get a bike with good standover height but standard 26" wheels (the 24 stood for the standover height in inches IIRC). Nice rare bike, don't see many around and especially good if you're on the shorter side of average!

I suspected it may have been a rather little frame, i'd already been thinking of a long 5 degree rise stem possibly riser bars and 400mm seat post.

It may be time for some math now as I do really like the frame design and am not too tall at only 175cm hmmmmmmm ;)

Are there any known weak points on these frames?

It's a design that best suits very short people (5ft tall or so) and children who don't weigh a lot as if you're too big/powerful then you could cause the rear wheel strut to flex too much. If it's cheap enough it may be worth it for the groupset alone

your right pete, that would make a great kids bike. to get same scale to my 21" Mustang I had to grow into, you could be on that bike at 6 years I am sure!

Interesting bike.

Alpinestars weren't known for their long life and fair percentage developed cracks. That might not be so much of a problem on this bike as the person who could fit it could well be less than 100 pounds.

I like the frame in that it was a real (vs. kids) bike for the smaller person. At the time, such choices were limited. Besides, it's kind of cool looking.

P. Guin

can't be too many of these in NZ

it's come up for auction before, but i think they want (relatively speaking) quite a lot for it.

Damn rare tho and if you are short like me pretty tempting...but i promise not to snipe you ;-)

i decided to hold out for a real carbon trimble instead

Too tall too heavy and possibly (IMHO) too strong :(

Back to searching for a steel GT with a U brake in my size.

Mike, may not be what you're looking for but my 16.5" U brake equipped Fire Mountain will be hitting ebay this Sunday evening. How much do you reckon that T24 will go for . . . hmmmm, what else could I sell.

Back