1985 ALAN Campagnolo Super Record/Shimano Dura Ace Road Bike

madmax

Dirt Disciple
Hi and greetings to all from Sydney, Australia. I've recently uncovered my old ALAN road bike which I've had packed away in the garage for 25 years. Only rode it twice before having a bad accident (on another bike) and now very excited to see it in such stunning condition. The years haven't worried it at all, cleaned up beautifully, rides like new. A lot to be said for buying quality. Just wondering what the old ALAN is worth if anyone can tell me. See all photos and close-ups at

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4,951
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4,951
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4,950
  • IMG_2171.jpg
    IMG_2171.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 4,951
Hi Madmax - what a great bike to start with! It's perfect. Does it matter what it's worth? Just get out there and ride it and enjoy having something different to the carbon clones that everyone rides these days! You'll only regret it if you sell it.

What a stunner! You've got my vote if you enter it in the next BOTM.

Whatever it's worth, it's not enough to sell such a beaut.

Keep it, ride it, even fondle it (I know I would :oops: ) but, above all, love it.

Thanks for posting!!!!!

That has to be a keeper surely, its stunning. I could really use those wheels on a current project though!

Yes, very nice bike, MadMax

I have an identical frame like you, but specced a little different (a bit less DA, a bit more 50th). I do know what I paid for mine, but I have no idea what it is actually worth. They are nice riding bikes.

Thanks for the nice comments guys. Of course this bike is a keeper, I don't think I'd ever be able to find a replacement, especially in Australia in this condition. It's now proudly displayed up high on a double bike stand in my house and looks great, and I do ride it on occasions but didn't want to use it as my No 1. bike when I took up riding again last year. I had to go out and buy another for everyday use, a 09 Ridley Excalibur with all Super Record 11 which weighs 7kg. The ALAN only weighs 9kg which is not bad for a 25 year old aluminum bike. The ALAN bike has the original first Black LOOK pedals which are a bit heavier than the LOOK Keo 2 Max carbons I have on the Ridley, but 'OH BOY' the older pedals feel much better and easier to get in and out of - really like them.
Back in the 80's putting together a bike like this was a lot more difficult and very expensive in Australia - we were a bit isolated and there was no internet, just bike magazines to look at. I had friends buy me parts when they went overseas - which was problematic. I agree with 'Fingers' and wish I had all Campagnolo SR to keep it all true and Italian, but I'm not complaining. WOW hasn't the world changed, I bought everything for the new Ridley bike on the net in just a few weeks, and the whole bike cost me less than half the price it would have from a local bike shop. A few more photos posted.
More photos at http://community.webshots.com/user/cranster63/albums

Attachments

• IMG_2188.jpg
    IMG_2188.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 4,916
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 4,916
  • IMG_2169.jpg
    IMG_2169.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4,916
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 4,916
I agree with 'Fingers' and wish I had all Campagnolo SR to keep it all true and Italian, but I'm not complaining.

Maybe it would have been nice, but not very much reason to complain indeed. The 7400 callipers are period correct and possibly simply better than NR/SR. My Alan came with black ano early DA callipers. I think the previous onwer mounted them because he were simply more impressed by their performance. I did replace them, as the ano wore a bit of. I had another not so mint pair and of the two I could fabricate one flawless pair.

[The 7400 callipers are period correct]

It's a completely original period bike, same as the day it was built in 1985 by John Abeni of Europa Cycles. It's been unused and stored for 25 years until January this year. I had to replace a few perishables - tyres, bar tape, cables, brake hoods (got original shimano replacements on ebay) and the bike mechanic fitting those items replaced the chain which he said had gummed-up. I will get around to finding an original replacement chain. But otherwise it's totally original. Luckily I chanced upon an old bike mechanic who had a similar bike years ago and knew how to work on it, as none of the younger mechanics in the shop had a clue.

Back