1988 or 1989 Kona Brochure - jpg pics attached

Re: Fraid not

snooks":1jg8ilpt said:
Sweet! Is there more?

Fraid not, it was just one piece of A4 paper and that's both sides of it...they only did the three models back then :)

As compared to the 67 models (bikes anyway) they have today. Just wondering because they mention that the project 2's are available on the Cinder Cone, Explosif and the titanium models. Maybe this is just the U.K. version? (note the spelling of tyre and authorised. Canadians spell them tire and authorized.)

Just had comformation...My bike is not a bike of the 80's she a bike of 1990 :(

Still good, but I want an 80's bike!! :shock:

Anyway, all this goes on to mean that Kona Paul, you were right all along, it was me that was the numpty, just going off to a corner to beat myself up!! :D

Anyway if I'm 32, is it legal to ride a 17 year old?

Kona Paul LOVES his Konas :))) There's a guy on here with a mint condition, all original (down to the brake pads!) 1988 Explosif. Unbelievable! I want it!!! But it's going to cost a handful of £££. So if you really want an 80's Kona, this is the one to have....but you can only ride it once on a dry sunny day before hanging it on the wall. I also want one of the old beat-up 80's frames to fix up and make into a city bike. I had better finish the projects I have going first though....

Mine would be all original if they had put better components on it :)

Changed the handle bars from steel to Alloy this weekend - Half the weight! one of the first bikes I know to have STI...which died earlier on this year...and the biopace were shot...and I think it looks so much better with a black crank :)

Front brakes are compag, not the cheap plastic 300LX it came with, rims (well you know that story from above :) )

Seat post is cheap, so that's finally being replaced, the sadle fell apart after a close call with a tarmac hill, one pedal snapped off, so that was replaced, but I've now replaced them again with spds...oh and I'm on my thrid BB.

So apart from the handlebars, grips, front brakes, rims, BB, pedals, cranks, rapidfire levers, chairings, chain, cassette, sadle, tyres and soon the seat post it's 100 % original ;)

LOL almost completely original...ahem...sort of...he he. Of course these were top of the line components in '88/89/90. Or pretty close anyway.

Like Trigger's broom

Just like Trigger's dad's brush, passed down from generation to generation it's only had three new heads and two new handles, but it's still the same brush!

OK, the original things on it are: the frame, rear brake, both brake levers, front and rear mech, seat post (at the mo), stem, head set, forks and hubs...Which, if you look at it weight wise, is a high percentage of the orginal bike....honest!!! :)

Actually you're right. Good way of looking at it :) Can't expect everything to last after 17 years, so that's a pretty good list of original components.

Ahhhha!

But you don't say when the photo was taken ;-)

Looking very good, I could only dream of an explosif 17 years ago :-(

Can still only dream of one now as well really...Although my frame has the same dimensions as the Explosif, just mine is made from scafolding poles not the tange prestige frame!! :)

Back