tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Since getting back in Mtb's I've found that their are now two types of bars
Standard and OS but which is better? - pros & cons?

Hi Tintin
The new standard 31.8 is quite new so we're not much concerned out here i think.
The pros of the 25.4 are
1) you already have it
2) it's lighter
3) you have more room to put your vetta computer and your vistalite lamps, bar ends and little bell
Cons
1) it's said to be less stiff

Pro's of the 31.8?
1) Stiffer if you need it (dh, enduro?)
2) a new satndard of the industry, pushing people to change the nice stem hb/combo they now have on their bike (certainly good for the industry)

con's
1) you guessed it less room on the handlebar (i think it could really get problematic on a straight bar with twist shifters and barends)
2) heavier

I think this standard is here to stay though, i just hope they will continue to produce 25.4 for cross country.
Bottom line? if your new bike comes with it, don't change it; If you don't have it on your "old" bike : don't be sad.

:D Thanks FRED cleared that up for me. But just one other point . I think the OS looks better than a standard on a fat tube bike like my Trimble :LOL:

As the OS is stiffer, you will experience you need more suspension. You buy a new 'better' fork, but preferably a new full suspension frame. As you are already heavily investing, you decide to go for a new groupset too.

As you have a beefy bike that needs a lot maintance and resource to keep it moving, you decide it would be smart to get a plain, simple singlespeed bike as well.

etc.

That is about where it is for.

Mel, I sense a touch of cynacism?
Emperors new clothes. Maybe of some use in the new world of everyone wants to look 'core on their 10" bikes though

If you go for OS on your Trimble, it might look good, but it will hardly be old school, except if you go for.....a S BIKE bar and stem combo they used to have that some years ago. i don't know the diameter, but it sure looked big.

gump":2aq4neog said:
Mel, I sense a touch of cynacism?

Maybe ;) A little

Still a way better investment than for example the ring tone subscribtions the 'emperors' can allocate their funds to. Anoying at public places ...or am I really getting old? :LOL:

On topic: My Al-Mega had an oversized stem and handlebar. The Verlicchi stem and bar that came on the FUNK was oversized too.

I have both and have gone so far as using same bar/stem combo i old-standard and o/s.

o/s is definitely stiffer and gives more precise handling as a result.

But slightly heavier and more jarring too.

FRED101":1ne1uhcy said:
If you go for OS on your Trimble, it might look good, but it will hardly be old school,.

Alas only the frames, front hubs, front brakes/levers are retro the rest is 07. And with no joy in finding retro parts for my new project Trimble then that also will have 90% 07 parts on it.
As i've owned two Kleins i like a hard ride. The Pace fork/Trimble is not as hard as the Klein (but then who is)

Oversized my ar*e!

Really winds me up over size bars!! What is the point at all? Other than to get you convinced you need them to increase bar/stem sales. Strength is nothing to do with it, as they taper down to the same 22.2 mm, they'll just bend in a different point. I also used to do quite a lot of MX and M/cycle Trials & was watching at a local MX meet only yesterday, some of the larier lads were dropping a good 25 feet plus off a big table top at scary speeds all crossed up, yet the standard bars are still only 22.2 all be they braced and of thicker tube construction. A few unlucky lads cartwheeled there 300 kg plus steeds and ended up in A & E, yet their bars were still true. OK not quite mtb, but just made me think, why on earth do we need them? ------ and many other so called improvements Grrrr, they'll be having us riding aluminium framed bikes next!! :LOL: :LOL:

Back