Scottish based knowledge needed

Tazio

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Easy question really. I recently bought my new old bike off gumtree and was quite happy at its scabby appearance as it is really just for commuting and weekend recreational rides. Ad scabby equals unattractive to light fingered miscreants.

However I seem to have been bitten by the bug I used to suffer from and had managed to suppress.

I want to make it pretty and good looking again. I've already started trawling websites and e-bay (though the for sale here is much cheaper).

Cut to the chase is there anyone in the Edinburgh area, or within a reasonable drive does good powder coating or painting? The new ride is a Trek era Klein and they seem to have used some special type of paint that chips if you look at it even slightly. I've managed to lose even more in the short time I've owned it by peeling off stickers FFS!

ZZ used a mob in falkirk who were pretty decent he will let you know who they are, forgot and BTW you are now doomed, you'll be washing your tyres in the washing machine soon :twisted:

clockworkgazz":i1392ri6 said:
ZZ used a mob in falkirk who were pretty decent he will let you know who they are, forgot and BTW you are now doomed, you'll be washing your tyres in the washing machine soon :twisted:

I prefer to use a toothbrush and some Vim powder.

I'm am not however getting into the "Pimp My Ride" obsession that some people on this site have. I've seen a few bikes on here that I would be terrified to drive to the shop on a sunny day in case I got them dirty.

Further doon my street there is Bilston Glen industrial estate in which resides, allegedly, a powder coater who claim to do bike frames. I cannot confirm this as I have never searched for them but they are in the Yellow Pages for Loanhead which is the town due south of Edinburgh just past the bypass.
Good luck although if you have the patience you could take a class in rattlecan painting from our very own Jimi Hendrix or Big Eck, some of their creations have been things of beauty ;)

HHmmmmmmmmmmm

A klein you say?? :?

Bought off Gumtree?? ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I think i know the bike :roll:

Anyway, I had a frame re-finished by Henderson's in Peirshill , maybe 15yrs ago

Good job but wasnt cheap :shock:

Google them bud or yell.co.uk :cool:

G

Enid_Puceflange":2sjdcxv0 said:
HHmmmmmmmmmmm

A klein you say?? :?

Bought off Gumtree?? ;) :LOL: :LOL:

I think i know the bike :roll:

Anyway, I had a frame re-finished by Henderson's in Peirshill , maybe 15yrs ago

Good job but wasnt cheap :shock:

Google them bud or yell.co.uk :cool:

G

You wouldn't have wanted it anyway, it's a wreck. :shock:

I think you've given me the answer to my problem anyway. It is the cleaning that is the real worry in terms of doing it myself. I can get them to do a cleaning job on it and take it back to bare aluminium. I have access to spray equipment at my work, and if I get the fear I have friends who are professional scenic artists in theatre so they could do the tricky spraying stuff if I make a mess of it.

Now where did I put that e-bay link that sold Klein decals?

Gil-M on here does reproduction decals bud

JonRock does the best Klein reproduction Re-sprays in the universe!!!! :cool:

Both members on here ;)

Gc

This guy in Falkirk.

http://www.williamspowdercoating.co.uk/

Did my Hardrock and Stumpy (see sig), also therealkw15 got a frame done as well. Give him a phone (don't bother with email). Busy guy, but straightforward to deal with, not a huge amount of colours to choose from but knows what he's doing with the bikes and reasonably priced.

Development on this front. A friend phoned Hendersons and they offered to powder coat his frame for only £27! There is a catch however, they would do it if he was willing to have it done the colour of a motorbike they were about to do and he had to deliver the frame as bare metal.

He turned them down as they were going to be doing the bike "Tiger Orange"

Rather annoyingly orange is one of the colours I was considering using but I've missed the chance as I don't have time to get the bike stripped and the frame back to bare aluminium.

I really quite fancy the bike in bright orange with black decals. Especially as I am considering a pair of On One rigid forks which come in black or white.

So if anyone has a frame they need powder coated but aren't over fussy about the colour Hendersons are totally affordable.

Further update.

Hendersons will strip and powdercoat in stock colours for £60, the guy in Falkirk will do it for £50.

The future's bright, the future's orange.

Back