ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild - ON HOLD !!!

Haha well I keep checking for updates but I try not to read the previous pages anymore... I did though :oops:

You're right about the swingarm being lacquered, most of the scratches that hold grease and crud, making it look tatty up close seem to be in the clear coat. I'll try to strip, polish and relacquer an inconspicuous spot and see how it turns out.

hi
how's the build going? have you started assembly yet? any update pictures? here's my 857 that arrived this week. the frame and fork are mint. how these things sit around unused all this time i'll never understand. now i have to decide what components. i have a set of rolf rims in excellent condition i am going to use. same era but never came on this bike originally. but i'm not planning on building it original.
roy

Attachments

• pro5.jpg
    pro5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3,453
hi
the only pictures i have are the sellers pictures. i haven't taken any myself. and i don't know how to resize to make acceptable for the site.
here is what i have.
roy

Attachments

• pro1.jpg
    pro1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3,425
  • pro2.jpg
    pro2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,425
  • pro3.jpg
    pro3.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 3,425
  • pro4.jpg
    pro4.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 3,425
I think the frames with the carbon swing arm are really :cool: :cool:

No more updates or pics of my build though :-(

I have a question though for fellow ProFlex owners - has anyone had the 856 style rear strut powder coated ?

It is made from 5 pieces and looks to be bonded, I was wondering how it would cope with the heat ? :? It's only under compression so so long as it doesn't fall apart in the oven I think it should be ok ?

I have a spare one so I am thinking of using it as a test mule and sending it to be done with the marin forks ...

WD :)

Well I had been wondering about the powder coating and it destroying the bonds on the rear strut :?

I had asked on the ProFlex forum and the only real feedback was from ‘shovelon’ who had melted the glue out of his BUT this happened whilst welding very close to the crown, the other ends had been OK.

I did think of just sending it and hoping for the best but if it fell apart I would be inconveniencing the powder coater and be left with parts that I would have to de-powder coat and then re-bond :-(

I had a look on Windridge’s website and it quoted 220°C so we had a little home cooking session to see what would happen :LOL: :

DSC05159.jpg

I hung it rather than laying it flat as it as it will probably be in this position when it is coated and will have its own weight pulling the joints apart.

Checking the surface temp with a fluke IR thermometer confirmed that A) my oven stat is crap, B) the temp control on the oven is crap (it cycles up and down by 25°C) and C) the bonds are OK up to 235°C for 15 mins :cool: I didn’t want to take it any higher or for any longer though …

So it’s off to Windridge with the Marin forks (finally :LOL:) to see that matt black powder coat looks like, guess I will find out in a couple of weeks

DSC05162.jpg

WD :D

you are killing me mate.... come on!!!

:D

off topic kinda but the Proflex is gaining a bit of a resurgence lately on here, some very nice examples coming back in from the wild, which is always good to see!

I should have some finished shots and even some riding shots very soon of mine.

Re: ProFlex 1996 856 Rebuild

WD Pro":2s3vfmjm said:
similar to my Marin build it will be a step by step build up rather than just pictures of a finished bike, please don’t expect this to be a quick build … :oops:

I refer you to this quote from my first post :oops: :LOL:

WD :D

Back