Klein Comes Alive – 2002 Attitude Race in Night Storm

Little Mark

Retro Guru
This is a 2001 (2002 model year) Klein Attitude Race (XS) in Night Storm. This particular frame was purchased via eBay around October last year and I think this is the first time the frame has been built up as a complete bike.

The Night Storm finish in the early 2000’s was only available as frame only. According to Trek around 10 frames a year came to the UK.

So, onto my build.

The parts are pretty obvious from the pictures; perhaps the only item that is a bit left field is the Crank Brothers Cobalt cranks.

I went with Fox forks and stuck to 80mm travel; SRAM XO shifters/rear mech and Avid Juicy carbon brakes. The wheels were custom built for me and are based on the latest centre lock Shimano XTR hubs, laced to Mavic rims via revolution spokes.

The finishing kit comprises Thompson seatpost and stem, SDG saddle and Bontrager carbon riser bar.

I went for white forks with the white saddle flashes finished that theme off with the Bontrager bars to compliment the white decals.

This is my first build from frame and I have enjoyed working out the component choices to arrive at the finished bike. It rides as well as I had hoped; the riser bar makes for a better handling when descending and the 2.25 Bontrager tyres give a little compliance to the ride. As you’d expect the bike climbs very well and what you’d expect from a bike weighing in under 23lbs………….

Attachments

• Picture 1.JPG
    Picture 1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,676
  • Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,676
  • Picture 3.JPG
    Picture 3.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,676
  • Picture 4.JPG
    Picture 4.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 1,676
That looks fantastic........But pics from outside will look much nicer :!: If you have a look at my thread under yours you will see what I mean. ;)
(p.s. how much do the fox forks weigh :?: Just wondered).

Nightstorm paint scheme is really growing on me, and that looks to be a nice build there too. :cool: :cool:

Can't remember what the forks weighed, but not as light as Rock Shox Sid's for sure. Biggest weight saving was the cranks around 580g for the set.

Agree, pics outside are best - natural light makes all the difference.

I was pretty happy to have got it! Think I've done it justice. Honestly thought it was going to Japan so put in a really high bid so when it came out at just over £500 I was pretty chuffed.

:cool: This was my frame. Glad to see it fully built up....looking good Mark.

Hello - glad you found it! eBay wouldn't let me send you a message under their new system.
Yes, really pleased how it has worked out. Rides as a good as it looks. Probably not a classic Klein ride with the riser and the 2.25 tyres, but means when I point it downhill it is a rocket ship!
I got most of the parts from Europe or the USA so kept the cost down and has the wheels custom made by the LBS. No issues with the sizing although right on the limit for me with an extra long seatpost. The reach is about right.

Back