GT Xizang Serial number thread

Although its been gone for 10 years now, i still remember the serial number of my first Xizang like it was yesterday.

1992 Xizang LE
16"
G16063

RIP... *sniff*

Unfortunately I don't remember the replacement's - 1999 Xizang - serial number before i sold it. It had the final year's Team edition paint. White with blue and red graphics. It was still actually polished underneath.
Should have kept it...

I'll add one more

I bought this frame recently with the intention of building it up for myself. Alas, it is too large for me . . .

Attachments

• 447_BB.jpg
    447_BB.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 3,131
I bought my Xizang new from a bike shop in Denver, 1995. They had to order the frame, but could get one fast from the GT rep. It had a skinned up decal. I said "Okay" as I was anxious.

So, my Xizang has a serial number G18355S

Okay, the 18 must be frame size. The 355 is the actual serial number for the year? And the S at the end? Do you suppose that meant it was a salesman's display unit?

By the way - I've owned the bike since new in 1995. I wouldn't dream of ever selling her. Maybe I'll have her buried with me when I croak!

I would leave my Xizang to one of my kids or a good friend. But NOBODY would ever appreciate her like I do. Things tend to be worth what you pay for them. And anyone who gets even a great bike for free, is sure to not appreciate it.

My Xizang is one of my most-treasured possessions, and has been for 14+ years.

Hey, is there a thread about decals for the Xizang?

marinapro":1u2w2ccb said:

No there isn't a separate decal thread and the only originals still readily available are listed on eBay for the 91 and 95 model years. Gil_M on this forum may have reproduced some other years.

gm1230126":3cbxeupc said:
marinapro":3cbxeupc said:

No there isn't a separate decal thread and the only originals still readily available are listed on eBay for the 91 and 95 model years. Gil_M on this forum may have reproduced some other years.

I looked at eBay, but only found general GT decals for lots of the other bikes, none for the Xizang. If you know something I don't, I would love to hear from you or whoever... xizang@belizemail.net

ebay.com sellers "felzno" and "gwsalvage" are the two sellers that often have them listed. I'd check again on Monday or message them.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I picked one up yesterday :D

Details as follows:

SN / MADE IN USA Stamping - G18032 Made in USA stamping.
Seat Tube Insert/Shim - No.
Head Tube Shape - Re-inforced and alloy insert
Rear Brake Hanger - none (U Brake)
Rear Dropouts - Plain
Cable Routing - Internal routing, typical one sided barrels.
Stickers - Yellow XIZANG LE and Titanium on the downtube, yellow/black outline GT sticker on the head tube.

I think its a 1991 model

Back