Best Canti's or V's??

Wold Ranger

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Question to all? starting a full reno'on a Merlin Reynolds 631 frame.(Already have the 25.0 Ti Post 4 it) it hasnt a Canti bridge, but should I go with Canti's, if so whats rated as the best? (I used to prefer Exage back when) or find some old Onza etc V's.

Also as top tube is short at 20.25 I need at least a 130 mm stem, (normally ride an 80mm on a 22.25 top tube), but if I go up to a 145 mm how ponderous will the steering be?? :D :D

my fav canti's are Dia-comp 986 with ss5 levers. I always have them fitted. Like all cantis setting up is fiddly Once set up they are good light weight stoppers. Never used V's

Vs are all power and no feeling.

Cantis are hard to set up and can be mushy if not set up properly.

The choice is up to you.

I prefer Dia Compe too - 987s though.

Chicken Stix

Forgot to say, but have some New X-Lite Chicken Stix in Purple, was hoping to utilise, if decide to go with the Canti's. Was wondering about the Froggleg jobs that the Psycho-cross set use a lot? Anyone familiar with these?

for cantis, i always liked DC986's

except during setup of course

V-brake wise, avid single digits, soooo easy to set up.

I use cantis and v's, don't really have a preference although I do think v's have more power.

Incidentally I have some mint black LX low profile cantis (F + R) spare, very easy to set up and look and work just the same as the higher end Shimano ones. PM me if you're interested

for looks canti's - especially Grafton or Critical Racing IMO.

for stopping power (if you a, ride hard and/or b, weight 200lbs +) then its got to be XTR V's.

sorry not much help really.

Back