Isn't it nice when you get NOS stuff in the original box?

Sure is... But then you have the big dilemma – To use or not to use? ;)

Kudos for being brave novekili! :D

Just recieved a NOS Shimano XT 750 V-brake set from America, brand new in the boxes with instructions - lovely! Almost too good to fit and use, but it will be.

NOS stuff should by definition, largely come in the original packaging shouldnt it?

NOS is over used these days to describe stuff in good condition, in order to squeeze a few more pennies out of the buyers hands, and that's not what it means at all.

I saw a great description on here from a seller a week or so ago, they described something as "NOS, until it was fitted to my bike". Brilliant.

Russell":3kdd8tmu said:
NOS stuff should by definition, largely come in the original packaging shouldnt it?

NOS is over used these days to describe stuff in good condition, in order to squeeze a few more pennies out of the buyers hands, and that's not what it means at all.

I saw a great description on here from a seller a week or so ago, they described something as "NOS, until it was fitted to my bike". Brilliant.

Yes, I totally agree, NOS is used far too much these days instead of the phrase 'mint condition'.

I buy and sell quality vintage watches and the only way we could legally ever use the term 'NOS' would be if it came in full original packaging, with instructions and have never been worn at all, not even for a day!

I think now that vintage bike parts are getting very expensive and collectable we need a different way of describing the condition.

In the vintage watch world we grade each piece out of 10, where 10 being totally unworn i.e. 'NOS', 9 very light use but still mint in every way and 1 being in need of total renovation.

Just realised that I have caught the 'NOS' bug on here and even describe 2 of my collectable bikes as 'NOS' were as in the 'real world' they are only a 9 out of 10 as they have been slightly used although still mint. :oops:

Any thoughts?

Back