My old road iron from BITD

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Here is a snap shot of my old road bikes, pretty much what got me into cycling in the first place. Watching the tour on a black and white portable in the kitchen etc...

Funny thing is, Phil Ligget still looks the same! :LOL:

Anyway.

1st up, a late '80s 5 speed Apollo on 27" wheels, weighs slightly less than a Renault 5 but rolled beautifully, ended her days as a fixie before fixies were cool!

Apolloroadbike.jpg

Then a 2nd hand Peugeot 653 frame which I bought for a song, painted it with hammerite smooth and fitted a 4th hand Vitus fork.

Peugeot653.jpg

The Dyna Tech which I still own to this day!

DynaTech405Ti.jpg

A chap I knew drilled a single hole in his crank ... it snapped like a carrot within a couple of miles ! :LOL:

I still have them, the cranks only have shallow depressions drilled, less than 1/2 way through. Shocking behaviour really, the whole weight weenine craze!! :oops:

I did not drill them though, a friend did on a proper milling machine, actually they look quite good still, may put them on a SS road bike if I ever build one.

I'll get a good pic of them...

I remember a mate in Poly who drilled all his components and then started on his frame. He put holes the size of modern pennies in it. Needless to say the frame broke after a few weeks. All those weight reducing holes must have made the bike about as aero as a brick. How ignorant we were back then!

Mark.

Just to put your minds at reast this is what she looks like now:

Attachments

• Dyna Tech Ti.jpg
    Dyna Tech Ti.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,204
daccordimark":22unvce3 said:
I remember a mate in Poly who drilled all his components and then started on his frame. He put holes the size of modern pennies in it. Needless to say the frame broke after a few weeks. All those weight reducing holes must have made the bike about as aero as a brick. How ignorant we were back then!

Mark.

Not King Alf was it? He drilled everything at one time including his 'bars. I reckon he could have played 'God Save the Queen' with the right fingering at the speeds he used to go!

Back