Pushing retro beyond it's limits?

OK, own up, who left Boy "O" boy's bike leaning against a radiator?

Seriously. Some really strong death defying stunt rims are available today that weren't in the past, but a rim comparable to what you have there wouldn't be stronger. Materials haven't improved or anything.

cannondale king":139snr8s said:
i blame the pratt that sold you those nos mavic ma40 mb rims in the first place bloody cowboy

:LOL: .... thanks Dan. As soon as I'm out of traction I'm coming your way for a refund!! :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, I'm suprised that all I walked away with was a grazed knee and elbow..... when it 'collapsed' it happened so fast that I thought the front wheel had just 'washed out'.
Closer analysis would match some descriptions here of what could have happened. None of the spokes or hub flanges have snapped and amazingly, the tyre is still fully inflated today. The joint of the rim has twisted but it looks as if this is a result of the tension 'letting go' on the opposite side of the rim. The photo's make it look like it is being viewed in a side show mirror ..... 'Catastrophic failure' as described by one of my friends.

brocklanders023 - don't worry the rest of the 'O' is unharmed.
I'm now in the market for a replacement MA40 though as this was my 'rider' wheelset and was going to form the basis of project 'O' - oh well. :roll:

boy" :( "boy

Could have been worse Ben, If you'd done that here you would have got all muddy too :shock:

I really hope that wasn't a 36h, they're being a right prick to find without careless peoples breaking them............................. :LOL:

PotM

Is the pic of the month comp still open ?

Its wheels isn't it ?

Just put a fried egg on it and it's a Salvador Dhali !

That was the worst of bad luck , wrecking a rim . And the best of good luck , you didn't get hurt and it shows you have a latent artistic talent that is beyond reproach my man ! :LOL:

Get it in pic of the month and watch them votes !

nicely done!

Seen many a wheel do this over time from usually very innocuous fall or easy riding. No idea why, just assumed it was wrong loading combination at the time

:D I think this could be the latest trend in Wheels!... :LOL:

A the biggest improvement since suspension :twisted:

Passiflora

Christ,

Only just spotted this post :oops: Hope you're ok, and the 'O' (one of my favourite bikes on this forum) is all still intact??? Luckily (touch wood) this has never happened to me, but as has already been said it could happen to anyone/any rim/anytime... :shock:

I've got a spare MA40 knocking about if you need a replacement anytime soon???? It's not mint by any stretch, but it is a MA40 ;)

Back