R J Quinn - New Build... Possibly not for the purists!!!

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
R J Quinn Build

First question... should this be in the Readers' Road Bikes or Retro Road Classics forums? I prefer the name of this one. So stuck this here.

So this is possibly not for the purists due to the mix of components / eras and being a conversion. But what with it being a conversion, I think that's okay, as it's immediately not faithful! Aimed to build something 'sympathetic' rather than precise. In style terms, that always seems most important and preferential to me - allows some slack from overly fastidious parts hunting! And Curbs the OCD!

Ill stick details parts below for those interested in such things.

This is my first post here of anything I've put together so feel free to let it rip!

----

Frame is RJ Quinn oviously. Don't know much about it or R J Quinn. Told this was 80s, but not sure. Serial No. I think is WA89JR. If anyone know anything more about them I'd be interested to hear.

Component wise... mostly Campagnolo, various era Record with some modern Velo Orange bits.

Hand Polished Super Record Strada engraved cranks + NOS Patent ring.

Record Pista hubs, not sure of era - have World Logo and Record on them.

Unfluted Record seatpost - not sure of era. It's the version that's all polished (other than the clamp) with CAMPAGNOLO RECORD round it quite low down.

MY Favourite Brakes - early flat quick release with winged wheel logo.
VO PBP Rims + Porteur Bars.

DiaCompe City levers - the one thing I want to change.

Hand polished Nitto Stem.

Oh and some white tyres that won't last long in the Scottish wet!

Nice project. This is the right forum for listing up bikes.

Certainly well thought out. Any reason for those bars over drops?

VERY COOL :cool: and way more sympathetic than what I've just done.

I have fitted hybrid forks and an AHeadset to a 1950's Rudge Roadster frame, 700c wheels, fixed gear and a front V-brake :roll:

Rides well though in a slow stately fashion and also created near Edinburgh ;)

Thanks John...
The bars are basically as my wife won't really use drops and likes moustache bars, but I think they're too wide looking.
I love the look of French Porteur style set ups so thought this a more classic looking concession! And was also admiring this at the time...

http://www.deathspraycustom.com/index.php?/new-work/figo-vengeance--el-capitane/

I'm half thinking some old inverse levers might look better if I can find some. CLB or there's another French make I noted down but forgot, think they cost a fair bit though. Frexel maybe? Don't know how they perform or what inner bar diameter they use or if they use normal cable ends either? Can't be any worse in power terms than these levers + single pivots on shiny rims!

And Velomaniac...
You going to stick up a pic of your Rudge... would love to see it, is it a bit of a Frankenstein bike then!!!??

Very nice, not the usual fashionista fixie cliche...understated and elegant.

I think the bars carry themselves well- I've seen a fair few tourers in Germany like that. I'd feel a bit nervous about reverse levers (think Lance falling on the tour as he snagged a musette) :shock:

If not inverse levers...
any suggestions on a road brake lever that would work?

Had some Gran Sport ones but couldn't use them as they hit the bar before giving enough pull.

(Meant to add, it's set up single speed rather than fixed at the moment, hence the wish to improve the braking!)

Thanks for the compliments. I was lucky enough to pick it up with paint and chrome that looked bad, but was actually under quite a bit of dirt and odd brown varnish that was in truth protecting it. Took some patient cleaning and restoration to get it off without doing anything to paint and chrome underneath, especially the headtube crest, it involved cotton buds, scalpel blades and toothpicks! - but was well worth it. Think I used very diluted nail varnish for some of that. Can take of paint if not careful though! And then varnished some spots and waxed and polished it.

It rides pretty nicely... now that the bars have been changed. The steering was a bit too 'responsive' with the porteur bar to say the least! I think that bar with the fork rake - quite straight really, didn't make a happy couple. Ideally I'd like to switch it back to being geared, but other bikes to build first.

Cheers,

Daniel

R J Quinn were the bothers of the more famous Harry Quinn. The brothers father started their cycle business in Liverpool, but after he died there was a bit of a family dispute about the business. Harry Quinn continued on his own while his 2 brothers set up on their new business in another premises in Liverpool.

Latest posts

Back