Pushing retro beyond it's limits?

Looks like material defect to me, but doesn't that riding position dump all your weight on the front?

When I first started building my own wheels, I had that happen twice from lack of tension.... Everything was even and true, there just wasn't enough tension to keep everything in line... Haven't had one like that since about '89... :)

inconsistent tension ,either under or over tensioned on one side

was explained to me years ago by streatching elastic band round a teacup rim ,its in equal tension ,roll one bit over the edge and ping
of it goes re-equalising the tension

clockworkgazz":tm0xss5v said:
:shock:

a few turns of a spoke key and you'll get that sorted ;)

Curse you!! that was going to my my witty retort!!! :x
*shakes fist in futility* Bah..........Bah, I say!!

I've been tryin' to see from the pics, but it doesn't even look like any spkes are snapped- just a good old fashioned bend!! :shock:

Know how you feel :eek: It happens to modern ones to apart from mine spat me clean over the bars as it got wedged in the forks. :oops:

Glad you wern't seriously hurt.

Attachments

• Bent Wheel.JPG
    Bent Wheel.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 966
giant-one":36zg4zqc said:
Know how you feel :eek: It happens to modern ones to apart from mine spat me clean over the bars as it got wedged in the forks. :oops:

Glad you wern't seriously hurt.

Yeah, but you were ars*ing about and got a jump wrong! Still makes me laugh now. :LOL: :oops:

More seriously though, is the rest of that beautiful 'O' intact boy?

It looks like you have managed to whack a localised load though the wheel, laterally when the wheel has been over at an angle - or the tyre has drifeted and then a hit a rock so all you forward motion has been arrested and absorbed by the rim. The forces have pulled on the spokes in that area hard - which in turn have tugged/backed tension on opposing spokes causing wheel to 'crisp'.
No relation to it being a retro component, the same would have happened to a modern wheel, maybe to a lesser degree due to stonger rim
section designs.

Back