Onza HOs

Kestonian

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can someone remind me - do the longer armed ones go front or rear?

Is there a reason for this? If I had to guess, I'd say shorter on the rear to make the cable run easier ... but I wouldn't back myself to be right

The longer arms are intended for the front as they can provide greater leverage.

Greater leverage can be had front and rear by dropping the cable carrier toward the tire a bit and adjusting the angle of the brake arms outward to some degree. On any cantilever brake the lesser the inner angle formed by the brake arm and the straddle cable the greater the leverage will be (hence the longer arms on the front). ;)

Kestonian,

I know this is an obvious no brainer, but i am always warey of over tightening them as so many people say they crack, but last night out on the cross bike, hard breaking to avoid a car up a lane and the bloody pads rotated with the arms and the wheels locked and the brakes were jammed inside the stays or the rear.

For what it's worth, I've run a set of H.O.s on two bikes over a number of years and have not had issue with spinning of the pads nor cracking from over tightening. I'm not saying that this hasn't happened to others, but I've used these brakes quite extensively without issue. I've got a NOS set of H.O.L.A.s on the way. If there is any info in the literature regarding recommended torque I'll be sure to post it here.

OK, got the brakes and the documentation states that the brake pad clamp bolt should be tightened to 60 in-lbs.

If anyone would like a scan of the user info and installation documentation let me know.

Back