2010 Singular Swift 29er (updated November 2010)

Heres a bit of an update but its still not finished unfortunatley, although I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

Changes since last posting

Added Exotic Carbon forks colour matched to frame
Halo Freedom disc wheels on Hope Pro 2 hubs.
Titec J Bars with cork grips, cinelli cork tape and hemp binding. I am going to shellac the grips and tape for a classic tourer look. Now need to fit a longer brake hose to the front brakes
Brooks Ti Swift on Use post
Cranks to be swapped to Middleburn

DSCF7403.jpg

DSCF7407.jpg

Now this is whats unfortunaltey slowing up progress and was a whim purchase I probably shouldnt have made

On One Scandal prototype slot drop (ex team race bike) fitted with Pace RC29er forks, Hope mono Minis with carbon levers, Bikeslut carbon bars, Bonty carbon post with Brooks Ti Swift, Middleburn crank with Surly stainless chainring, Hope stem & headset.

But I just dont feel the love for this so am thinking of braking it and selling the frame off and using the parts for another build I have in mind

DSCF7409.jpg

DSCF7411.jpg

More pics :D especially of the bars please, before and after shellac'in. The Brooks on a USE post is interesting too :eek: That on one looks like it would make a great weenie singlespeed.

Heres a bit of an update but its still not finished unfortunatley, although I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm a sucker for the retro/new mix. Just wanna grab that and go for a ride :)

what made you change the forks out of interest? I found the steel ones damn comfy and am on my 2nd set after an unfortunate incident reversed the rake on the first set .......

A few of reasons for changing the fork, non of them scientific though.

1. Read very good write ups from people using Niner carbon forks who stated it quickened up the steering with out becoming overly twitchy.

2. Fancied dropping a lttle weight from her, and to be fair its actually noticalble.

3. Vanity, I just like carbon (even though I had them sprayed). Its also aethestically tightened up the look of the bike which with the stock fork looked a little chopperish.

Its an experiment really as the Exotics were going on an On One Scandal 29er (now in the for sale section!!!) but then I got hold of a set of Pace RC29ers for that and has these kicking about. Second hand sale value would be to low even though they were mint so I thought I would give them a try on the Swift. If its ends up cocking the bike up I can always throw the steels back on.

Here's the latest incarnation of my Swift.

I decided I should give single speed a try seeing as the frame is built for it. I have also got the Surly BD build ongoing so decided to rob a lot of the bits that just didnt suit the Swift.

Also chucked the original forks back on to see what I am missing, although cannot comment if I prefer the carbon or the steels just yet.

Summer2010builds114.jpg

Summer2010builds104.jpg

Summer2010builds108.jpg

Summer2010builds116.jpg

Build details as follows

Frame: Singular Swift

Fork: Singular Swift Reynolds 520 rigids

Headset: Hope gunsmoke
Stem: Hope 90mm 10degree rise
Handlebar: Soma Fabrication Noah's Arc Bar
Grips: Superstar somethings
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Hope Minis X2 Pro with 160mm sawtooth floating rotors
Brake Pads: -
Brake Cables: Hope braided
Cantilever cable hangers: -
Brake Levers: -

Shifters: n/a
Front Derailleur: n/a
Rear Derailleur: n/a
Derailleur Cables: n/a
Cassette: Surly 16T with VeloSolo Patriot spacer kit and Token lockring
Chain: SRAM 991
Cranks: Middleburn RS7 isis 175mm
Crank Bolts: Middleburn
Chainrings: Surly 32T
Chainring bolts:A2Z
Bottom Bracket: Superstar Isis
Pedals: MKS

Hub Skewers: A2Z ti in red
Rims: Halo Freedom disc 29er
Hubs: to be Hope Pro2 in red
Nipples: ?
Spokes: DT Swiss db
Tyres: Halo twin rail 2.2" 29ers
Tubes: Continental
Saddle: Brooks Ti Swift (black)
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Seatpost Binder: Surly ss

Nice :cool: - looks much better built up as a singlespeed (IMHO) and with the steel forks. If it handles half as well as the Hummingbird does, then it will be good.
I could (and frequently do) go as far as saying that my Hummingbird is the best handling bike that I've ever ridden but I've never had the opportunity to ride a Swift to see whether it has the same characteristics or not.
Big tyres (2.35" Rampages in my case) and low pressures (20-25psi) are the answer, I reckon.

Nice 128X too - we don't see many Kubotas around here.
They're quality stuff though.

Not a fan of single/twingle/baby blue/29er or any generic freeride modern marketing crap :roll: and even though it is also in no way retro (retrobike ;) ) I actually think it looks damn cool :cool: What is happening to me :oops: :shock: would not mind a go on a similar ride (but somewhere where no one would see me :oops: ) :cool:

marin man":33cc4fo4 said:
Not a fan of single/twingle/baby blue/29er or any generic freeride modern marketing crap :roll: and even though it is also in no way retro (retrobike ;) ) I actually think it looks damn cool :cool: What is happening to me :oops: :shock: would not mind a go on a similar ride (but somewhere where no one would see me :oops: ) :cool:

is the 29 inch wheel really modern marketing ??

No mate but adding er :mrgreen: afterwards certainly is as back in the day if somebody said "why dont you stick some road wheels on your mtb"
we would have fallen over laughing :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: What "they" have done is try and make the idea sound cool and lots of people have been sucked in ;) but not me I tell you NOT ME :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: but as I said I do think it looks quite cool just do'nt tell anybody I said so ;)

Back