RETRO - PERSPECTIVE

What dont like is that no efforts is put into bike colours and they all look the same .

So much effort is put into the " best suspension ever that you all need today , but in 6 months you will need another one " , that other aspects are forgotten .

i remember seeing one of those " tomorrows world " type programmes and them saying that in 10 years time all the cars will look the same , as all the manufacturers will settle on an optimal design ( upside down boet shape , aparently )

but it seems that its the 2 wheels , that have settled down to the one design , with minor variations

i do still love my rock spprings 05 though

If I'm honest, we all lust after the stuff we couldn't afford ten (or more) years ago. Today, that sort of stuff is usually a fraction of what it cost then, and we've generally got more disposable income to throw away on bikes (if only because we've been riding sufficiently long that we know it's a life-long thing).

The same will therefore be true in another decade or two. Many retrophiles will have got bad backs, painful knees etc, and will happily move to the latest full sus whatchamicallit. Others will still lust after the same stuff they do today, much as a generation of road riders can still be found restoring bikes from the 50s and 60s. Finally, there will be a group who are poor and/ or new to the sport today, who may find themselves lusting after Indy Fabs, Turners, Mavericks, Spots etc in the future, as that was state of the art when they started riding. As with today, people will have moved to newer things or moved out of the sport, providing a flow of these bikes to satisfy demand.

nice summary simon :)
pretty much in agreement with that... I must admit I ride the newer stuff, but it doesnt have the emotional ties that the older stuff does. Was considering last night getting the winter bike sprayed as that 2 tone green chameleon yo eddy on ebay recently :D

Scant , as we all know you do serious riding , and it is understandable that you want a bike which is reliable , efficient , light etc...
If I was doing the number of miles you do , I would probably invest in a new bike as well .

hahaha :)

I know I'm not the only person on this board who rides as well as collects. looking forward to sundays retro meet for that reason, ideal mix of both :)

Back