Paris-Roubaix bike

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, so I've asked the question before but at two weeks away push is coming to shove and I really have to choose and being Libran am struggling so sage counsel required.

Apart for doubling bar tape/adding gel pads and using at least 28c tyres, I'm thinking of:

- 1998ish IF Planet X cross bike with Landcruisers (the bike I used at the Three Peaks so should be tough enough)

- Colnago cross bike (ex Rabobank team bike from around 2001 - would be cool but I've already had the steel fork straightened a little)

- 30 year old Raleigh 531c Panasonic with Nuovo Record

Naturally I want to ride retro/do it in style. I'm tempted by the Raleigh but think it might be a bit fragile and while the Colnago would be good the IF is probably the wise choice.

Come on chaps, tell me what to do!

Attachments

• Raleigh Panasonic.JPG
    Raleigh Panasonic.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,390
  • Rabobank 1.JPG
    Rabobank 1.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,390
  • IF Planet X logs.JPG
    IF Planet X logs.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 1,390
Hi Ed,

That is a not so easy question. All three great rides. The Q certainly adds to the holiday joy however :D

I do not how sturdy those old Raleighs are and how carefull you want to be with it. If you are it certainly doesn't add to the fun during your trip on the cobble stones.

The IF is very luxerious ride. 1st choice from that perspective.

The Colnago is no minty, but all functions flawlessly it is the most hassle free during transport and when hammering on the cobblestones :cool:

If this are your three options, I tend to Colnago and alternatively IF if I am in the mood for something luxerious.

Id go with the IF , You want to be enjoying not worying about anything ...Esp when you unleash the fury in final sprint !! :cool:

Should be a road bike .

get widder tyres and stronger wheels and you will be fine .

Back