1999 Santa Cruz Superlight

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Here's my most modern MTB, recently finished but not sure about the ride. It's really comfy and good for downhills but feels to upright for a XC bike, anyone think a longer stem might do the trick, don't think it's the forks as the travel is not that much, although they are tall forks...

Kit is a mix of functional LX and some XT.

main.php

main.php

Looks good to me James. All the angles are good. Head angle slacker than designed, but that suits the fork. Short stem is needed for the handling to be right, but please note that you fitted it upside down (these youngsters, so careless, I don't know, whatever next?)

Upright is good, once you get used to it you'll love it.

The stem was intentionally flipped as I was trying to get the reach more to my liking... Might flip it back and try flat bars...

As you say might be a case of keeping at it until I get used to it.....

I ran my 99 superlight with a Sid 100. Although I did name it the Stupidlight,as it was a xc bike. Don't think it would be the fork of choice now though!!

Sweet looking bike. :cool:

al. :D

Sweet ride, like the green too (mine is red)

Try ands lose the spacers underneath the stem before flipping the stem and there some nice wide flatbars out there too. Normally a layback post is another option but if the forks are longer than design maybe not. How is your knee position wrt to the line through the pedal?

I've ridden my size L with 135mm stems for ages as that was what SC fitted in 1997. Nowadays I have a 120mm fitted.

Enjoy!!

re:

IT´s THE FORK!

Had mine with a 100mm´s fork it was a 2000model I didn´t figure that out until I sold the frame. U should get an 80mm R7 or Sid or something not zochii cause they have to high AC measurement.

change fork and the angles will be more agile and xcísh. it´s a stormer in the tricky bits and goes very well on flatouts with a lower fork. tried a 2002 model with 80mm´s fork and what a difference...

i agree that the marzocchi fork is too long for the bike, infact they are too long on most bikes....but also i think 80mm is too extreme. anything in the 100mm ball park from rockshox or fox will work a treat on the frame, and work in harmony with the travel at the rear.

A super low stack (and low weight) Crank Bros headset will help too. Have you thought about losing all the spacers and maybe running a flat bar :roll:

Nice bike by the way ;)

Great bike

Just new to the whole retro bike concept. Got sick of the continual 'arms race' and now gone back to my old classic frame stuck away in the garage since 1999.

Love your bike... very similar to my old beast, although mine cracked and has a repair.

Attachments

• 80s rebirth santa cruz 003.JPG
    80s rebirth santa cruz 003.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 3,714
Back