MYSTERY FRAME... any ideas...?

Cheesedisease

Senior Retro Guru
Got this off a VCC chap a while ago who bought it badged as a Pollard.

Some months later, I'm finally just getting to the point of thinking about how I'll paint it, so thought I would stick it on here on the off-chance someone might have an idea what it is. It's not particularly fancy so don't think there's enough to go on really but thought I'd try anyway.

Already tried the Classic Lighthweights site and their bit about BB stamping placement etc but it's fairly inconclusive. Has the serial number on the edge of the non drive rear stay placed and orientated as detailed in the photo. And has the NERVEX serial no., NERVEX stamped above a long number, running across the BB shell.

I was told it came with early 60s period components (Mafac Racer brakes, and Allez handlebars. Rigida wheels 36 spoke, 5 speed), but while badged as a Pollard is not one. So really not much to go on, just the pictures, and pretty standard features; Nervex Pro Lugs, nice little lip on the headtube lugs top and bottom, 125-126mm rear spacing, pressed steel drop outs, all English threads...

Any thoughts, clues, or comments appreciated.

Many thanks.

Not sure why you're just seeing a little square, is that the same for everyone? The image is on the server I use, will check it later.

In the meantime, hopefully this link will work. Should be quite a big image, able to zoom in on it.

Too True!

No clues though?

At least if I don't know what it is I can be as creative as I like painting it! Was thinking about trying to make some home made / designed decals.

Thanks for the reply.
Hazarding a guess? Or is there a giveaway feature on the frame? Don't suppose you have any information on the format of their serial numbers? Already tried Classic Lighweights and another guys Holdsworth/Claud site.

Cheers

HI,

Might be able to help you here. I have had a similar problem with a frame just like this. Tell me, does the light boss on the forks look like a later addition? Is there a small square bracket, that looks meaningless on the angled frame tube about four inches down from the headstock, on the r/hand side? No pump pegs?

If the answer to these is yes, you could be looking at Claude Butler " Cordon Bleu". http://www.nkilgariff.com/CBcats/Cat_61 ... Bleu61.jpg

Made from'59-'70 by Holdwworth.

Took me ages to realise i had no pump pegs...
:oops:
Hope this helps..

Dave

Back