Hope disc timeline

Brilliant, I can't believe I missed that for sale thread! I'll collate his posts here for reference....

Disc.

2378336524_7540d43625.jpg

1992 GT fork from my original Karakoram, custom brazed by Dave Yates to fit Hope mechanical calipers, the bosses ground off. Resprayed black.
It's currently sitting unused and unlikely ever to be. It fits 1 1/8" headsets and steerer tubes of 10cm length. If it's of any use to anyone for a restoration project send me a PM and make me an offer. It's stickered up as above.

In November 1991 (or thereabouts) MBi featured Hopes mechanical disk brake. In early 1992 the second batch of 50 was finished. Here's a pair a couple of days after their fitting. In those days you could still visit the mill on Skelton Street, Colne, for a fitting.

2404018476_5c3407bf27_b.jpg

2404017822_3ac074fc56_b.jpg

Eagle eyed will spot the cable mounted return spring that didn't make it past the third batch, and marks on the disc caused by the nitride coating discolouring. Nitrided discs eventually polish up really nicely, work sharply, and have a longer pad life because shit doesn't get embedded in them. Bring back nitriding for modern disks I say! Also solid axles that you had to remove to get the wheel out, large flange hubs with 6-bolt spider (some things never go out of fashion). And yes those pedals have been painted to match the GT splatter paint job. If colour coded pedals were good enough for Jason Shackleton...

By 1993 I'd had a custom caliper mount brazed onto the fork.

Fork and brake caliper now properly for sale here...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 073#502073

In 1992 Hope released their first disk brake using a floating caliper and mechanical actuation. After a year of racing on the hose-clipped version I gave my 1991 GT Karakoram forks to Dave Yates who brazed a custom mount (think - a flat plate of steel with the right holes drilled and tapped into it by Hope) onto them. At the same time he removed the cantilever bosses and resprayed the fork gloss black.

I used to swap between this fork for NEMBA sundays (XC day) and a Pro-Circuit suspension fork for Saturdays (DH). Here it is during the hillclimb in 1993 at the Nationals, Malvern.

2350983422_06af9d08cd_b.jpg

early titanium hub/screw on spider, e.g.:
48300632_1bc7d6ceae.jpg

early titanium hub/splined spider, e.g.:
48300650_d2da875a26.jpg

Came across tis while flicking through some back issues :D

EDIT: dammit you already posted that, thought it looks familiar :LOL:

DaveLloyd_Hope.1.jpg

DaveLloyd_Hope.2.jpg

I have this front brake assembly from another member on this forum, and am sure he won't mind me using his pics to illustrate :D

Having spoken with Justbackdated he thinks its a prototype assembly, mounting on and in front of the Right Side fork leg :D

I'm thinking about fitting it to my Pace RC35 equipped Kona Explosif, but there's a dilemma.....

Pics.....

181109197.jpg

181109198.jpg

181109199.jpg

181109200.jpg

181109201.jpg

181109206.jpg

181109205.jpg

Dilemma as shown in the following two pics.......

DSCF2329-1.jpg

DSCF2323-1.jpg

...... the caliper mounting bracket is not suited to the RC35 fork leg - look at the pic showing position of caliper and mounting bracket - caliper "flange" should (i think) be between the two mounting bracket "flanges" for security. However, it only alligns with the disc properly when placed as shown - ie inboard of the mounting bracket. Think I need a new fork leg bracket, or perhaps use a spacer and longer bolt with locknut (keeping well away from spokes)

any views?

mmm... that prototype looks identical to my normal one?
It might actually mount that way on mine too, (too dark to check tonight), but it could just be you have a mount for a fork with the dropout in a different position to the fork you have fitted it to.

Is the caliper flange threaded? ...and are both sides of the mount?

pic from further up the page - I think boxxer might have a higher res image of this but I can't be sure.

3586386809_25d257c11e_m.jpg

regarding the assembly on the pace fork, I beleive you have the assembly correct, placing the flange of the caliper in the gap between the clamp makes no sense what so ever. If it were meant to go between, the tolerances involved in making it so the clamp tightened down onto the leg enough, whilst also gripping the disc flange would have had to of been amazingly accurate. It makes much more engineering sense to do it as you have it assembled, so the tolerance in the clamp lets you grip the fork leg and not have to worry about the disc flange as it will always be gripped tight.

Rubbish explanation but I hope you "get it" :LOL:

This might show my dilemma more clearly........

DSCF2379.jpg

Clamped round fork leg - this is the only position where the caliper properly sits around the disc.

You can clearly see exposed thread of clamp bolt between the two bracket flanges, and the caliper is mounted on the extreme left side of the bracket, with a very short length of bolt holding it in place. :?

I'm thinking if this bracket is indeed correct, the least I should dio is use a longer bolt with self locking nut to secure the caliper.......what'ya think?

Looks a very complicated arrangement. I've got a spare PACE/Hope mount which looks like yours (the one above) if you want it. I can't see me ever needing it.

The Ken":2cbaasje said:
mmm...

Is the caliper flange threaded? ...and are both sides of the mount?

caliper flange is threaded

neither side of mount is threaded

I'm thinking about the set up and will probably give it a go as shown, but deffo with a slightly longer bolt and locknut. :?

@earlofbarnet - looked at your hope/pace adapter, but not sure - looks to be for a different hub ?

I'll do some more digging............

Back