Cool Wall -> Mountain Biking

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: mtb cool?

Tallpaul":3r27m6be said:
If you don't think that something which makes you happy is 'cool' you should really consider what is your motive for doing it.

I guess it comes back to the definition of 'cool' (again). New pants, crunchy nut cornflakes, Last of the summer wine all make me happy. But alas they are not cool.

cannondale king":2s17l00o said:
marin man":2s17l00o said:
kaiser":2s17l00o said:
marin man":2s17l00o said:
I have tried twenty niner riding,it used to be called a hybrid (falls over laughing) I had a claud butler reynolds 531 frame with full campag and whilst it was a v.nice bike,it was a road bike with flat bars and slightly nobby tyres. ;) Bike design has moved but backwards as there are only so many types of bike.The hybrid of today is now the ""29er"" of today.Notice how it has less letters than Hybrid,another example of lazy language de-generation :!: In about 25 years we will just be grunting at each other (pretty much what hoody wearing chavs do now) :oops: to be human in the modern world. ;)

A 29er is not a hybrid :roll:

Can you tell me what the difference is then :?: 700cc wheels,flat bars=HYBRID=UNCOOL (Just marketed differently) :LOL: :LOL:

a hybrid is a cross between a old fashioned 650b wheel sized town bike and a road bike they added flat bars towards the end of the 90's and have a tyre size between 700x32 to 700x45 so not a 29er a 29er is a moutain bike with a moutain bike geometry fitted with 700c wheel and 700x2.1 to 700x2.4 which is a huge differance as on a hybrid you will be sat upright in a very relaxed riding position designed for road use with a 29er you'll be in a more off road postion over the bars so as to your last statment you are completely wrong take it from someone who was in the trade til last september you are completely and utterly wrong end of dont even try and argue with this one you are wrong ;)

But surely..............only kidding ;) I reserve the right to have my opinion,and may be being a bit pedantic ;) (I also worked at stuart males cycles for many years)Maybe I will have a go on one(somewhere where no one will see me)(can you use 700cc spinergys on a "29er" as if so I might even buy one) :cool:

In my veiw there are two distinct types of mountain biking. Stuff that gets you into situations like this:

DSCF2198.jpg

DSCF2200.jpg

DSCF2150.jpg

And more organsied Scene events like this:

DSCF2292.jpg

DSCF2311.jpg

DSCF2298.jpg

They are very different but equally fun I guess, although I prefer the former examples. :D

Cool? Getting out into the mountains/countryside - yes. Having to feel part of a scene at an event - not so cool.

Generally? - both knock the spots off sitting at home watching TV - therefore COOL.

:cool:

Re: mtb cool?

kaiser":1uvcn5qt said:
Tallpaul":1uvcn5qt said:
If you don't think that something which makes you happy is 'cool' you should really consider what is your motive for doing it.

I guess it comes back to the definition of 'cool' (again). New pants, crunchy nut cornflakes, Last of the summer wine all make me happy. But alas they are not cool.

I'm sorry but Crunchy Nut Cornflakes are most definitely cool :cool:

Semi-coolish but not really

OK -- off-road riding is cool. Hanging with your friends, riding singletrack up and down a wooded site, hammering up and down the hills, working your balance and bike control skills in a severe environment, hanging-ass over a cliff; definitely cool.

"Mountain biking" is not cool. "Mountain biking," for most people who own a "mountain bike," means: occasionally riding a few miles on the flat sidewalk or bike path at 12 miles an hour while sitting on a gel mattress, then putting the "mountain bike" back in the garage, where it will hang, collecting dust, for three or four years. The "mountain bike" is the creature that lots of people fled to after the "ten speed" lost favor. They are now permanent decorations of their owners' garages, or they get sold for a few dollars at the neighborhood garage sale. (I own a few ... see "eBay.")

SO based on the way the question was posed, I vote "uncool."

I've voted un-cool. I passed a friend on my mountain bike who was sat in his Astra VXR parked up at the side of the road. I felt very un-cool :(

Id say downhilling on a rigid bike with cantis was mega cool, iv seen the crashes back from the 80s on youtube, its totaly brill :LOL: :LOL:
But when you see these big fat people on a steel apollo from halfords that is certainaly UNCOOL :( :(

graham1975":1zw05ghv said:
Id say downhilling on a rigid bike with cantis was mega cool, iv seen the crashes back from the 80s on youtube, its totaly brill :LOL: :LOL:
But when you see these big fat people on a steel apollo from halfords that is certainaly UNCOOL :( :(

In that case : 6.30 am, Friday morning, Epping forest (between high beech and the butlers retreat), me on my 92 fully rigid hammer.. I was the epitome of cool!

So cool in fact there was nary anyone around to see me. Which was nice (sorry fast show pun)

BITD yes it was cool, it was new (to the masses anyway) everyone wanted to do it or know about it it was... RAD!

now 9ata tangent) well no, i mean i've forsaken all of my modern bike for older.. more retro ones to re live the halcyon day of nostalgia, anodizing and "how to bunny hop in 4 step's" :)

I believe this question was first raised by myself on the subject of Marin and the cool wall.

John did say he was going to aise it as a future vote/discussion.

Sadly our sport is littered with idiots and 'all the gear and no idea' dads on a Sunday.

Without getting too deep into this, cool is what you make it...

Steve McQueen in a prison cell playing baseball against a wall, wearing a marl grey t-shirt and jeans - cool.

A chav in an Adidas trackie playing baseball against the wall in the local remand centre - ermmm, uncool.

Cool is the person playing, not the sport.

Latest posts

Back