Le Stumpjumper Comp (1992) Warning: It's quite pink...

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well, there we were looking round Velo Land in Narbonne down in the south of France when Mrs Wu spotted this (not so) little fella just crying out to be rescued amongst all the Giant and Decathlon full sussers in the row of 2nd hand bikes outside.

A lengthly conversation about the price led me to think it was €425 Euro and I was about to walk off and leave him when Mrs Wu (the brains behind the operation - clearly) managed to ask the chap in 'proper' French and we discovered he was €95 Euro!

£62.00! What a bargain. And virtualy immaculate condition. Could do with some grease in the hubs, but hardly a scratch on it. Metallic nail varnish rose pink and turquoise stickers.

Going to look oh so good with Turquoise ano parts to match those Turq decals.

On brief inspection, spec is as follows.

Frame: Tange Prestige 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 19.5in
Fork: Tange Prestige
Headset: Spesh
Stem:Spesh
HandlebarSpesh
Grips: Spesh
Brakes: Deore XT
Cantilever cable hangers: Deore XT
Brake Levers: Deore XT
Shifters: Deore XT 7spd Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Deore XT
Rear Derailleur:Deore XT
Cassette: Deore XT
Chain: HG
Cranks: Spesh Strongarm
Chainrings: Spesh
Bottom Bracket: Deore XT
Pedals:Spesh
Quick Releases: Deore XT
Rims: Spesh X23
Hubs: Deore XT M732/ M730
Tyres: Spesh Ground Control (F) Ground Control Extreme (R)
Saddle: Spesh
Seatpost: Spesh
Weight: not that light.

Attachments

• Stumpy03.jpg
    Stumpy03.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 3,739
  • Stumpy05.jpg
    Stumpy05.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 3,734
  • Stumpy02.jpg
    Stumpy02.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 3,734
  • Stumpy04.jpg
    Stumpy04.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3,728
Mate, That Stumpy looks sweet! Really pretty with all that XT stuff etc. If you are going to replace parts with turquoise ano ones, please let me know if you are willing to sell some of the Spesh parts. Really interested of the tyres, pedals & crankset... ;)

:shock: Bargin of the month at least. Personally i would keep just as it is. Except take off the bar ends. A real retro find Lucky you :D

Absolute bargain. I recently rebuilt my brother's bike which is the same as this one. He got it after he snapped the standard Stumpjumper frame. The shop wanted him to race for them so upgraded him. Seem to remember them being a couple of pence under £800. Cost the same as my Kili Comp but weighed a good bit less. I used to call it the Rumpcruncher Comp as my bike seemed more comfy. Both bikes still in use and recently managed the red and black routes in Halden Forest.

Archangel - thanks, not sure on ditching stuff. might just replace stem/ post. will let you know anyway.

Any pics of your one's - IWasGoodOnce?

Gus, a classic from one of Specialized's classic years. Well done.

Got your PM - away on hols at moment but can you post me a reminder in the "Found 'em"... topic and I will get the cat' scanned upon my return.

Back