Wheel help

cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just received some lovely GP4 from lorenzo with Campagnolo record hubs and a 5 speed suntour freewheel .

I d like to run 8 speed . is it possible to change the freewheel for an 8 speed one ( will hubs be ok ) .

cheers

here they are

If they're 120mm wide as it says then I doubt it. Not sure if you can get old style Campag axles wide enough - but someone else might know!

Now't wrong with 5 gears, when I were a lad we 'ad 3 and were still 'appy ;)

8 speed hubs are usually 130 mm spacing, so your hubs are probably to narrow. The 8 speed freewheel will probably put too much stress on the hub as well, seem to remember reading that axles on 8 speed hubs failed more often.

ok thanks , will probably take the wheel apart and rebuild with some Mavic hubs .

Don't walk":4529f0yw said:
8 speed hubs are usually 130 mm spacing, so your hubs are probably to narrow. The 8 speed freewheel will probably put too much stress on the hub as well, seem to remember reading that axles on 8 speed hubs failed more often.

Depends on the quality of the hub, I guess. I've used Hope and Sachs screw-on rear 8sp hubs for cyclo-cross in the past, never had any bother. If the OP is using something high-end like a Mavic 501 they should be on pretty safe ground.

David

FWIW, you may be able to fit a 6 or possibly even 7 speed block with just a small washer for it to clear the drive dropout and a bit of dishing towards this. Depends how much thread you have left on the spindle. Stretching the rear width on a steel frame is something that could possibly also be done.

Shame to waste such good quality hubs!

Back