Specialties TA crank help

rodgy1970

Dirt Disciple
Just bought these, thought they might be suitable for a classic roadbike project.

What exactly have i bought?

stronglight.jpg

Absolutely perfect as they have been in production since the 50's. However, be aware that, if they still have the blanking plate at the back of the pedal holes, then a washer must be used on the outside (hence the slight 'rebate') to prevent the pedal thread going in to far and pushing the blanking plate off. Be very careful the first time you fit a pedal and stop if you sense that it is hitting the plate. TA used to sell the correct size washer but I have used a crank/axle bolt washer and filed it out to fit over the pedal spindle.

You could also run as a double by removing the inner ring and substituting shorter fixing bolts which can still be obtained from Spa Cycles in Harrogate.

I have them on my Pennine ( http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight= ) but with double rather than triple rings.

Do you have the matching bottom bracket axle etc.? Spa Cycles may be able to advise on a suitable BB if not.

no ned, i just have whats in the pic, sorry i'm really green but is the crank arm with no rings fitted a drive side as well ?

that pennine is lovely, i have a holdsworth and i'd love it to look like that

Yes it is, I'd not noticed that!

Therefore, it is not a proper pair, you have two drive side halves, one with rings, the other without. I have plenty of TA rings available but that's not much of a consolation is it. What length are they? It will be stamped on the back eg 170

Old Ned":2f79y5zi said:
Yes it is, I'd not noticed that!

Therefore, it is not a proper pair, you have two drive side halves, one with rings, the other without. I have plenty of TA rings available but that's not much of a consolation is it. What length are they? It will be stamped on the back eg 170

i don't know the length yet, hope to pick them up in the next few days?

would a non-drive side are be difficult to get hold of?

I would tell the seller that they're not a proper pair and what's he going to do about it? If you can't get an LH crank then they're next to useless.

However, I have an unused 167.5mm crank for which I want a matching RH one which is why I asked the length of yours. If one is 167.5 then I would have been interested in doing a deal! I could then fit the set to my track frame and ride it at the Manchester Velodrome.

TA made all sorts of lengths from 150mm to 185mm but 170's are the commonest.

i have asked if they have the arms or bb but i'm not that hopeful tbh,

trying to find out length you never know we might be able to sort something out

Back