Cool Wall -> Mountain Biking

Cool Wall -> Mountain Biking

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bitd with the endless summers it may have been, but not so much now.
Certain aspects get portrayed as being cool but then media will always play its hand in convincing us so, with the reality of it just being more on a personal level. It went beyond messing about in the wilderness to explode as a lifestyle activity where if you're not doing it on the right bike that cost the right amount of $ wearing the right lycra gear, you're not doing it right.... I think the point has been mislaid together with the attitude and reasons.

Yetidh9":1nqqmjht said:
lewis1641":1nqqmjht said:
i guess its not that cool really. i n=mean, i think its cool but i dont think the rest of the civilised world does.

the "cool" aspects from a media pewrspective are the downhill, 4x, freeride stuff.

cool for me is an evening ride in the setting sun and a pub on the way home.

thats cool.

Won't argue with you on the media-side on this. That is so sure...(and makes mtb a little uncool). But as I see it from my perspective every thing about mountainbiking is SO cool. Ridning with your buddies on the trailbrikes and hitting the bub on your way back home, rideing your Orange 222 like it is stolen on the downhill tracks. Even standing in the startbox with your shaved leges along Henrik Djernis and Michael Rasmussen back in the days... I have to say that everything I have been doing aound the world of mtb makes me think it more cool than anything else. Maby the only un-cool thing with mountainbikeing is when people ride on them on the road. Some folks that cant seem to figure out that almost ANY other bike would be nicer to ride on the road... But MTB is über-cool!

I agree whole heartedly with all of your points :D (but not being able to spell or use a spellchecker is uncool :roll: ;) )
I think that mountain biking is cool if you are talking about the early days(upto the mid 90's)but now it is just a joke; 29er :? (road bikes with flat bar's :LOL: :LOL: ),
all of this "freeride" crap :roll: (are we not all free when riding :?: ).
Cool = three up front and 6/9 at the rear and lots of ti/anodized parts/cnc'ed alloy and maybe some carbon for good measure,period :cool:

marin man":fod6fgij said:
but not being able to spell or use a spellchecker is uncool
:shock:
half the people on here have only just learnt to type on a keyboard and hit the Submit button. They still have not figured out how to post a picture, yet you want them to figure out spell checkers :roll: .

<saying that, I spell terribly when typing miss-types mainly, as I've been typing for decades and using spell checker for almost as long I have no excuse other than I cannot be bothered and only Chrome has one installed. It doesn't bother me and afaik itz Kewl 2 spl bad

Get your point but I could not understand the last sentence ;) "Grammar school english" It makes you critical :LOL: :LOL:

Having just returned from 10 under the Ben, I feel slightly disillusioned by "the biking fraternity"
I rode across the car park to get a gondola ticket to ride the non racing downhill track. I was wearing an open face helmet and riding a Cannondale Gemini.
I was given disparaging looks by the 10 under racing purists because of my bouncy bike. I was given disparaging looks by the "`core" downhillers as "5 and 5" isn`t anywhere enough travel for downhilling*
I feel that as a sport it has too many subcultures that label people before asking them what they think. F`king cocks!
I just want to ride one of my fleet of bikes, with people of a similar state of mind regardless of bike/bagginess of shorts/ length of suspension travel/brand of tyre/etc etc

*Maxxis cup 2005 Les Orres Vets category ;) showed `em

I think you have summed it up :evil: The sub culture of 29er/dh/freeride/C..k/c..ks :twisted: Have ruined this sport :!: as years ago it was just mountainbiking,and we would all gather at the local bike shop on saturday mornings and spend our pocket money on a flashy anodized part and then ride off,have a crash,and a jolly good laugh and then ride home none the worse for wear :LOL: :LOL: Now these hoody wearing a..e holes who look down on us whilst sitting astride their taiwanese halfords special pieces of cr.p seem to be in the acendancy.(sorry hoody wearing t..ts).LONG LIVE RETRO BIKING :cool: :cool:

marin man ...relax...duuuude..hehe...as i started riding mymountain bike(please no age gags) in 85 ive had 25 years to make it cool...looks like it worked...now wheres my pressie for voting(my quick lib dem gag)

gibble is actually nick clegg :LOL: :LOL: This has cheered me up no end :LOL: :LOL: (sorry hoody wearing t..ts(sincere apologies) :D )

But these sub genres are all just riding your bike. The media invented the catch phrases to shift bikes, thats easy enough to figure. I remember the first time i saw the word freeride used, it was to describe the GT LTS DS range. Unfortunatly your seeing the next generation of riders that have been brought up and spoon fed these phrases just like we where the anodised parts and the magazine layouts. The people that ride bikes - ride bikes, thats pretty cool, the whole lifestyle thing of mountain biking? it's just marketing bull. I once heard mountain biking described as the new Golf, surely that has to be uncool?. And as for the 29er comments, don't knock it till you try it, they are the best tools for the job in places - bike design has moved on.

Back