CARBON ROAD FRAME PROBLEM. HELP NEEDED****

cipolinni

Old School Grand Master
Hi everyone
I have a seat post problem on my full carbon Dolan frame/forks
I cannot adjust the seatpost (also carbon).It's jammed.i'm afraid of damaging the frame.
Any idea how to resolve this annoying problem
Haven't had much experience with carbon frames
Cipo

cipolinni":2ieycj4v said:
Hi everyone
I have a seat post problem on my full carbon Dolan frame/forks
I cannot adjust the seatpost (also carbon).It's jammed.i'm afraid of damaging the frame.
Any idea how to resolve this annoying problem
Haven't had much experience with carbon frames
Cipo

They can get stuck also. I'd take it to a frame builder / decent shop who can get it out. Guess it'd involve running a hacksaw down inside the post.

Try turning the bike up side and seeing if you can get any WD40 in, from the bottom bracket area, allow to settle for 24 hours and then see if it will move, if not then I think it will be John's suggestion f the hacksaw, alternatively try Dave at Universal Cycle Centre Rotherham he seams a master of removing posts

I wouldn't get oil anywhere near it. I have heard it can penetrate the carbon and actually cause it to swell. When carbon fibre fly rods 'stick' together, it is recommended that getting one half very cold will often separate them.

I'd use PlusGas rather than WD40 - it's designed as a anti-seize. Many carbon frames have an aluminium liner in the seat-tube so suspect you've got galvanic corrosion between the bare aluminium and the carbon. Fit an old saddle, clamp the saddle in a vice / workmate and use the frame as a lever to twist it - if the saddle rails bend then it's really stuck! www.sheldonbrown.com has a good section on removing stuck seatposts - start with those that require minimum force. Suspect you'll end up cutting out the seatpost with a hacksaw blade.

Remember kiddies - take your seatpost out of your frame about twice a year, clean post, buff inside of seattube and reapply carbon fitting paste. Replace seatpost and tighten bolt to no more than 5 Nms.

Saves a lot of fuss and worry later on.

Problem is - nobody told this to customers 2 years ago when they bought their frames. Some manufacturers will cover as warranty for this omission.

I meant to add that for my carbon frames, both take a 31.6 post but I use a 27.2 seatpost and an USE acetal shim - acetal is just about impossible to bond to anything.

dbmtb":18bz6oqm said:
Remember kiddies - take your seatpost out of your frame about twice a year, clean post, buff inside of seattube and reapply carbon fitting paste. Replace seatpost and tighten bolt to no more than 5 Nms.

Saves a lot of fuss and worry later on.

Problem is - nobody told this to customers 2 years ago when they bought their frames. Some manufacturers will cover as warranty for this omission.

Good advice for sure.

I'd avoid oil since I've also read it can penetrate the carbon lacquer and cause swelling. If true or not i don't know.

I'd also avoid any brute force methods.

Still think the careful hacksaw method is your best bet.

As for shimmed posts - the devils own work :twisted:

there is a special grease for carbon to carbon feels like it has sand in it to stop the carbon parts seizing together

Hacksaw it off 1-2 inches above the frame

Hacksaw down into seatpost to cut a slit in post (top to bottom)

crush with pipe wrench or similar

lift out...

Back