How do you get them started?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I'm having trouble getting my son cycling without stabilisers. He wears more pads and joint armour than King Arthur and is still unwilling to try! I don't want to get him a new bike until he masters the current one. I won the auction but failed to reach the reserve on a Saracen 24" wheel with a well fancy Bob Jackson paint job a few weeks back. Does anyone have any tips on how they got their little 'un on two wheels? Secondly, does anyone in the forum own that Saracen?

My brother said he was holding on the back of the seat (he was at the start) then with out me knowing let go but kept his hand near just in case. It worked. Sorry never owned a Saracen

Just got my 6 year old daughter cycling. Started on usual barbie princess pink fluffy bike with stabilisers when she was 4, got her used to that. Then took stabilisers off age 5, pushed her along holding first the saddle and handlebars then as she got better just her shoulder for balance. Now age 6 she's on a proper 20" wheel Specialized (hurray!) bike with flowers on (boo!) and can even manage to change gears!

All in all though it didn't take a huge amount of practice, just a few goes in the park on the flat and they soon get the hang...

conniesnewbike003mediumbj8.jpg

cool first ride. i like the peace of kit to keep the chain on by the big ring when doing those hairy down hills :D

good topic!

Just been getting my son into the no stabiliser thing.
We talked about them for a while, and every bike he sees now he says whether the bike does or doesn't have stabilisers. If they haven't, they must be big boys.

Yesteday took them off for the first time. Started by holding his back for support and just letting go for a little, and a bit longer.
After 30 mins of starting him off, he could ride 40 feet or so with me following behind, arms ready.
That was enough for one day, so as not to get tired or bored.

Went out again today, and he can now ride almost indefinately, as long as theres not much turning needed. Taught him to put his foot down when he slowes down too.
He still cant start off yet.

I was pretty pleased though as he is only 3
12" wheel Dawes. Red.

:D

I was taught to ride via the old 'dad holding onto the saddle and then letting go' route, but by the time my little bro was learning to ride I was into biking and had a book which explained a different method...

Basically, if you take the pedals off the bike and tie the cranks up, then find a nice gentle slope, the child can learn by using the bike as a hobby horse, just lifting his/her feet off the ground, and putting them back down if they start to wobble. Kid does that for a bit to learn how to balance, then you can put the pedals back on and when they put their feet up they can do it on the pedals...and then start to pedal. Soon they'll be sweet- unlike all the work Dad had to put in for me, Nick just got the hang of it in no time with this method.

Stabilisers are bad cos they teach you to lean the wrong way (into the wobble)!

I'll have a look on google and try to find some more info.

EDIT: As per this:

http://www.cyclinginessex.com/Children/ ... torid.html

Yep exactly what Geoff has put there.

Many of my cycling friends with little cyclists have started theirs this way and they pick it up very quickly.

If you don't mind spending a little, a Like a Bike could be a good investment.

16728.jpg

Latest posts

Back