Kona Hei Hei Supreme from ebay and other places

johntheboy

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Since joining Retro Bike this March having found my old Proflex at the back of the garage, I started to realise that perhaps at my time of life maybe I should treat myself and my body to something modern like full suspension thats having enjoyed the full sus of the proflex. Started to look around and chanced upon a Kona Hei Hei Supreme on ebay, puts me bid in for £300, lot was ending on the saturday of my sons "stag do" so could not watch the auction end. Checks on sunday and I was out bid :cry: Anyway 2 days later I can't believe it theres the frame back on offer :) but now buy it now £250 bang in me bid there and then, 4 days later proud owner of Kona frame. Retro biker Harrycrumb had a set of new wheels and brakes for sale so nabs them (thanks edd), finds a few bits hanging around in the garage, RockShox Recon SL 100mm MTB Suspension Forks from absolutecycles bargain at £175, rest of bits and bobs from CRC. I now have my full suss done on the cheap and did have to sell to much on ebay to fund it!

Took it for its first ride today I can't believe how well it rides climbs really well and descends like a dream, well made up!!! :D :) :LOL:

Attachments

• Hei Hei sm.jpg
    Hei Hei sm.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 5,887
Just picked up an ex Kona/Torque Hei Hei supreme for my bro-in-law. Setting it up with full LX including dual-control levers just to confuse him (doesn't ride bikes just wanted something flash to ride around on :roll: ).

Gerno I didn't weigh it, but it is bloody light, sub three & half pound I reckon. Now I know it rides so well I can start to look out for some lighter bits to hang on the frame starting with the wheels, which are good but on the weight side I would class as bomb proof.

Ah! yes well that to me seems a bit obsesive, not to metion the cost. Have not added my cost up but i think it comes in around just over £600 complete. At least I can tell you the wieght of the frame now 2135.5 gms. If I can get hold of some scales (or fish out the wii) I will post the final wieght.

Hi there, and nice build. The Hei Hei is a nice ride too - I've recently bought myself a Leroi, which was a 2006 model equivalent to 'The King', which was the name of the 65 mm rear travel frames prior to the Hei Hei.
Anyhow, I had the same mid life realisation that comfort was becoming important and that if I didn't treat myself to a FS now, it may never happen.
I paid a bit more that you for the frame, but it was brand new and you can see the final build.
According to Kona the Leroi is 5lbs 4oz, and differs from the King and Hei Hei with carbon seat stays.
I attach a couple of photos, and notice that you also have a Kilauea - I have a 1996 version, which is just going off for a respray and a modern rebuild when it comes back.

Attachments

• PICT9749_resizeii.jpg
    PICT9749_resizeii.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 5,634
  • PICT9751_resize.jpg
    PICT9751_resize.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 5,634
kaledi":5e3h40ve said:
Hi there, and nice build. The Hei Hei is a nice ride too - I've recently bought myself a Leroi, which was a 2006 model equivalent to 'The King', which was the name of the 65 mm rear travel frames prior to the Hei Hei.
Anyhow, I had the same mid life realisation that comfort was becoming important and that if I didn't treat myself to a FS now, it may never happen.
I paid a bit more that you for the frame, but it was brand new and you can see the final build.
According to Kona the Leroi is 5lbs 4oz, and differs from the King and Hei Hei with carbon seat stays.
I attach a couple of photos, and notice that you also have a Kilauea - I have a 1996 version, which is just going off for a respray and a modern rebuild when it comes back.

You have some good kit on that there bike, cannot say that i have ever come across that frame before but looks good. Are they 717 rims you have on that, got them on my Kula nice rims.
Now ridden the Hei Hei for about 100 miles decided that the cheap deore crank set has got to go (creaks like mad) and the Hg50 cass (to heavy) already changed the seat post and saddle. XT chain set and cass on its way from Merlin as I write. Rough weight taken this afternoon 11 kg. Riding it tommorrow for the 3rd day running can't get enough of it at the moment, up against mates new never ridden Lapierre X-Control 310 should be intresting.

Latest posts

Back