17lbs Lynskey Titanium Hardtail... finished

Cheers,
With your keen weight saving eye, I wouldn't mind your advice on this build http://www.crell.co.uk/?p=350

I'd assumed I'd get this to 19Lbs but it's currently on the scales at 20.5 Lbs. Hypothetically, If you were going to take some more weight out of it, where would you target? All my bikes are SPD so the pedals have to stay. Tyres are another area where I need some grip and mud clearing ability so again can't go too silly in this area also.

Other than that what would you target and in what order?
Thanks!

What is the benefit of using the Inset Headset? I cannot find anything on the worldwide web.

The height of the BB is a good tip. What is the height you currently use?

The only real discussion of inset headset is from Chris King. So it will be biased towards Chris King's opinion. They are the only manufacturer of inset headsets.

http://chrisking.com/headsets/hds_inset

The short answer is that you can run a bigger diameter head tube which will increase stiffness of the frame. You get more welding surface. You don't need to shape the top and down tube to make it fit the headtube if you are using oversize tube. The headtube being larger in ID will support the headset rather than have the headset cups/bearing races outside.

As for my bottom bracket height. It is 1.25 inches drop with respect to the centre line between the two hub axles.

Crell":1zspv7kb said:
Cheers,
With your keen weight saving eye, I wouldn't mind your advice on this build http://www.crell.co.uk/?p=350

I'd assumed I'd get this to 19Lbs but it's currently on the scales at 20.5 Lbs. Hypothetically, If you were going to take some more weight out of it, where would you target? All my bikes are SPD so the pedals have to stay. Tyres are another area where I need some grip and mud clearing ability so again can't go too silly in this area also.

Thanks!

Pretty bike! I have never seen a Whyte bike in person yet.

Personally I would go with smaller diameter rotors. 180/160 is pretty aggressive. True it improves modulation, but with your carbon hardtail I doubt you will be going down 10,000 foot decents for 2 hours. You can really save some weight by going with smaller rotors. The pro3 hubs use the 3 bolt rotors right?

Then I would try some other tires. I too have been a long time schwalbe user. But I feel that as of today they have lost their edge to Conti. The new contis (Race King 2.2 and Mountain king 2.2) Supersonics blow the equivalent schwalbe tires out of the water. That and the contis are consistently lighter than the Schwalbe.

Then I would go with the Shimano Yumeya SP81 cables in white. It would accent the white logo on your bike and save some weight over the gore cables. In my opinion Shimano housings shift the best.

You should try some silicone foam grips from ESI grips. http://www.esigrips.com/Silicone_Grips_ ... orbing.htm
I too was an Ergon user, and I wanted lighter and gave these guys a try. They absorb vibration very well. I like them a lot.

Then I would see about tuning the bolts.
-Aluminum bolts for shifter levers, brake levers
-Aluminum bolts for bottle cages
-Aluminum bolts front derailleur clamp
-Aluminum bolt for headset preload cap
-Aluminum bolts for jockey wheels
-Aluminum bolts w/ loctite for chainring bolts
-Aluminum bolts for disc brake lever reservoir caps
-Ti bolt for seatpost clamp
-Ti bolts for stem
-Ti bolts for rotors
-Ti bolts for cable pinch bolts on the front and rear derailleur
-Ti bolts for disc brake caliper to frame

Other than that, it looks like a solid build. To go lighter you would need to start ditching perfectly good parts in favor of lighter ones.

By doing the above you might lose 1/2 lbs to 2/3 of lbs.

I might have tried harder to source a Cannondale SiSL BB30 crankset in black. It would have been lighter and stiffer than FSA crankset.

Crell":1a9wdi62 said:
Cheers,

Thanks!

Hi Crell, there is a chap who lives near me just build Whyte 19 carbon and it's 17.43 lbs, I havent see it yet but looking at the pics, it's stunning build though, here the link:

http://www.bikecity.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1453

BTW Cheers! awesome build your bike is, I love it and think you did a great job on it, I am using the same rims you got on my mtb as was told they are very light and good too.

Well done :)

guybe":212ix1dn said:
Crell":212ix1dn said:
Cheers,

Thanks!

Hi Crell, there is a chap who lives near me just build Whyte 19 carbon and it's 17.43 lbs, I havent see it yet but looking at the pics, it's stunning build though, here the link:

http://www.bikecity.biz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1453

BTW Cheers! awesome build your bike is, I love it and think you did a great job on it, I am using the same rims you got on my mtb as was told they are very light and good too.

Well done :)

excellent response from judderman in that link :LOL:

Methinks I saw you astride your beautiful bike at the Spring Epic 8 yesterday, I was there with RockiMtn - he on his RM Cirrus, me on my Xizang. I meant to try and get a closer look at your bike and have a chat, but the only time I saw you you were just starting a lap, so I figured you wouldn't appreciate being stopped!

mechagouki,

Indeed that was me. Good to see other retrobike forum guys at the races. I saw a lot of beautiful examples of cool bikes. I saw several older rocky mountain bikes. One looked like it was maybe an early 90s or perhaps even late 80s rocky. It was black. I think it was a steel frame as the tubes looked smaller in diameter than typical aluminum rocky mountain frames. The frame model decal was worn off so I didn't quite recognize it.

I also saw a Xizang bike there as well. There was also a Trek Y full suspension that looked like it was in mint condition. Next to the camp area I was at there was an older litespeed obed. I talked with the owner, he is the original owner. Original SID dual AIR shock, original chris king headset, and XTR hubs. Was a nice ride too. Really cool guys because I had to borrow his work stand for a bit. I must have tweaked the rear D hanger at the Tuesday Night Albion race so shifting was weird.

You should have stopped to say hi. I don't mind chatting at all. Usually I show up for a pretty casual relaxed race at the relay races. I had a beer between each lap. My 3rd lap of 41 mins really showed the effects after 3 beers.

How were you times.

According to my garmin they were 33, 36, 42, and 38 minutes.

Cheers!":f1mhskrp said:
You should have stopped to say hi. I don't mind chatting at all. Usually I show up for a pretty casual relaxed race at the relay races. I had a beer between each lap. My 3rd lap of 41 mins really showed the effects after 3 beers.

How were you times.

According to my garmin they were 33, 36, 42, and 38 minutes.

:oops: Well, all four of my laps were around the 50 minute mark, 48 being my best. All I can say in my defence is that It was the first time I've ridden off road in 2010 and I didn't actually do any training at all. One of my team put in a 36 on his 6" Spec. Enduro - he has youth on his side though.

Unless there was another one there the Xizang you saw was probably mine, it was a lot of fun to ride around that course, although I did find myself taking it a little slower on the rooty descents than I would have on a bike with a little more suspension.

Hopefully I'll see you at the Summer 8 and get a chance to talk.

Back