gears

clair

Retro Newbie
im interested in getting my hands on either "26 om flyer, 26"crooks flyer or macneil 26" cruiser. can anyone tell me can any of these bikes take gears, im looking to make it just 3 speed. if its possible what do i need, many thanks.

I don't think any of them will take a Sturmy Archer/Nexus type 3 speed hub, the rear spacing is too tight. You might be able spread the drop outs on the Macneil to make one fit, don't think that's an option with the aluminium SE bikes.

Profile made a 3 speed cassette hub for BMX bikes a few years ago. I don't think they make it anymore. It had 3 cogs and a mech hanger on it. Here's a pic of one. If you could find one it might be the best solution.

i emailed profile and they said they do still sell the 3 speed profile hub which is great. knowing nothin about single speed bikes, would i be able then to put this hub on the 26" om flyer, and what other parts would i need, with thanks.

just got reply from se racing they say the frame spacing for the rear wheel is not compatable, damn anyone know a 26" cruiser that is.

What's the rear spacing on the OM Flyer? 'Normal' BMX rear hub spacing is 110mm.

I would have thought the Profile hub is designed for frames with 110mm spacing; if you are in contact with Profile it might be an idea to ask them to confirm.

Back