Duell SLX

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Been meaning to start a thread on this bike for ages!

It is a Duell, SLX frame with Shimano 600 Ultegra STI groupset. It is very pretty, practical and lovely to ride. Certainly the best riding bike I have had to date.

The spec:
Frame: Duell - Columbus SLX, Cinelli bb Shell
Fork: Columbus SLX

Headset: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Stem: Zenith (very nice, highly recommended!)
Handlebar: Modolo
Bar Tape: Prologo

Brifters: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Brake Calipers: Shimano 600 Ultegra - Dual Pivot

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Cassette: Dura Ace - 13-21
Cranks: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Chainrings: 52 Biopace, 41 round
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 600 Ultegra
Pedals: Shimano PD-T100

Rims: Mavic CXP12
Hubs: Shimano 105sc
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro 25c

Saddle: Flite Gel Flow
Seatpost: Dura Ace aero

horsecompMay2010073.jpg

Some frame detailing:

horsecompMay2010067.jpg

horsecompMay2010068.jpg

horsecompMay2010069.jpg

horsecompMay2010070.jpg

Zenith stem
horsecompMay2010064.jpg

Paint job detail. Gorgeous colour imo and note the scales on the top tube and behind the Duell writing. It tis indeed very nice!

horsecompMay2010063.jpg

horsecompMay2010057.jpg

horsecompMay2010056.jpg

horsecompMay2010055.jpg

More pictures here http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/Telsun/Duell/

And nominated for May Road bike of the Month!!!

Hi Tel,

Nice bike. Interesting to learn you find it the best riding bike you have ever ridden, assuming it is not the only bike you've ever ridden! However ride qualities is also a matter of taste of course. I do not think you are unique though. I often hear of Dutch roadbikes that suit peoples taste very well.

Duell are fine performance aimed steel roadbikes by masterbuilder Jan van Dalen in Hoek van Holland, near R'dam. Duell is still in business and nowadays only uses the welding technique for its frames, as you can't sell a serious perfomance aimed lugged frame overhere anymore. Jan's brother, Brady, did paint your bike. He is a professional bike painter and also refinished my black Zieleman and WTB.

I think Duell did not yet achieve the classic status Zieleman and Presto did, probably due to that they are later era and still are in business, but I would expect that changes somewhere in future.

Elev12k":15zj6uxb said:
...by masterbuilder Jan van Dalen in Hoek van Holland, near R'dam...

Not anymore. He has moved to the beautiful Brabant :) and is now building bikes in Baarle Nassau, I pass there regularly on my Sunday rides

Today I got hands on a little job lot nos frames. Among them 4(!) Duell frames. One of them has that graphic patern like your frame has.

Another has a Klein-ish paint with one colour for the sides and another for the tops. Trick.

Very lush frames. First time I had the oppertunity to take one in my hands and having a real close look.

Tel":1l6lvgkn said:
I saw that collection! Was very tempted by the 56cm Duell, could still be ;)

I think there were two. A SLX and a ...uhm SL I think.

Other frames were Colnago, Batavus and Concorde :)

Back