Not open for further replies.

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Previously posted on this but decided to keep it clean and simple as follows:

Get your old road irons polished up, shave your legs and don your Bolles as we're running a Retro Road Ride (AKA The Welsh Borders Grimpeur) on Saturday 24th July.

What does it involve, I hear you cry?
A stunning, scenic and undulating Sportive style 90 km ride on very quiet country roads with a country pub lunch/stop. There's plenty of climbing but nothing super steep so with a compact and a bit of fitness all should be fine.

Where is it happening?
The ride will start and finish in Hampton Bishop, just outside of the cathedral city of Hereford.

Accommodation?
If you want to stay over there’s a very good campsite about a mile and a half from the ride start/finish, plus good B&B option 3 miles away in the next village.

Anything for partners and/or nippers?
Herefordshire is a very pretty county and there's plenty of opportunity for strolls with an ice cream along the river bank, great open parks and pretty, sleepy black and white villages with quaint antique shops.

Do I have to ride an old road bike?
Riding retro is certainly encouraged if at all possible but if you haven't got anything ready then modern is acceptable (although expect some good natured ribbing). There will be a ‘best in show’ rosette for the sweetest old school ride.

Flag up that you're planning to come below and we'll add to the list of attendees (updated 19th July 2010)

Ed
The Guvnor
Simplex
Del
The Brave Knight
Grannygrinder?
djoptix + 3?

Details for on the day:

- meet at 10 a.m. for a 10.30 a.m. start

- we have permission to park at Hampton Bishop Village Hall (about 300m from the start of the ride) http://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/communi ... ehall.aspx . I'll be there at 10 a.m. (PM me if you're due to arrive before then) but in case I'm not around then please park as far away from the Village Hall itself (near the overflow cemetry :shock: )

- bring a few Powerbars or the like as we'll be away from civilisation

- decent climbing gears recommended (as above, a compact is a good idea but not essential) as are decent brakes

- any tyres will do but best to leave your handmade silk tubs at home

- a beer in the garden afterwards (or inside if the weather is inclement)?

Arghhhhh !!! Clash of dates !!!!!

I had been planing on ridign the Dunwich Dynamo that weekend, I may have to get the cards out on this one and see what the stars tell me to do ....

If the ever helpful Retrobike massive help me finish this by then i'll come :D All Ultegra 6500 bits considered ;)

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 5,419
Can vouch for the great scenery in this area- you will be in for a treat! Shame I'm away!

Hmmm, im pretty tempted seeing as i only live 2 miles away from hampton bishop, If my exams are over i might attend :)

Rode part of the route today, absolutely stunning as usual - what more can we do to get the 'mights' to commit? Beer in the garden at my place afterwards help at all ;) ?

Rocker9455":1y5i9f91 said:
If my exams are over i might attend :)
Should be as it's a week after the end of term ;)

My last exam is on the 22nd fortunatley, I need to sort out my bike first, got a nice bent mech tab, my friend said he would lend me the tools though :)
Edit, oh wait, its 1 month and 2 days after my last exam :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back