help me build a solid all-weather commuter

weps

Devout Dirtbag
well, for spring i want to build a four season commuter bike for daily trips to and from work and around town. its a short trip...about 1.5 miles and has a few hills. since i don't want to arrive at work as a sweatball, i usually make it a slow, low strain trip. it rains often in my area so im thinking fenders would be helpful. also, i'd like some kind of rack too as i occasionally have stuff to transport. not looking for a basket at this point.

id prefer to do something intersting and vintage, but am not sure what geometry, bars, accessories, to even look for. i'll need a light in my town too after dark.

road frame v. mountain? advantages of a touring frame? what types of mounting considerations will there be for rack and fenders? are some better than others? what would be the most comfortable set-up?

thx!

I commute in my winter road bike. Dull as dishwater but very practical since it runs full length guards.

If your commute is road based I'd go for an old road frame and build with drops and guards. If it's flat I'd think about going singlespeed or maybe fixed.

horses for courses on commuting. whats the actual commute like? mines a mix of mountain roads (mixed surface) boggin muddy canal & boring road sections. more thru the gradients (climbs & DHs!) then its more suiting to a mtb. if yours is flatter, smoother, faster, then road/ cyclo-x maybe more applicable :)

I run my commuter, fully rigid mtb, full length mudguards, lights, 1.5semi slick tyres etc.

As scant says , it all depend on your journey .

I am going to start commuting from next month , and on the way back I like to increase my journey by a few miles with a bit of off road fun . So i will be using the mountain bike .

yeh I do the same. 8mile ride into work. 30miles after work on the mountain roads :)

even if my commute was totally smooth & flat I wouldnt road bike it in, purely as I'm totally impatient & like to take as many shortcuts as possible, flights of steps, muddy fields.

also definately recommend kevlar belted tyres in avoiding punctures :)

That is why , you do so many miles a week . :D

I havent the courage to do 30 miles after work , I do an extra 4 and go home for a beer .

My wife convinced me that I dont need a car anymore , so after easter holidays , I am gonna do it eveyday . That should improve my fitness.

i hate driving. seriously. vastly prefer riding the bike & works close enuff that riding is feasible. I dont ride 30miles everyday after work. my wife would kill me! totally varies dependin on how much sleep my son allows etc etc ;)

monday = rest day (basic commute)
tuesday = 1.5hrs (30mi)
wed = 2-3hrs (mi dependin on hills! 20-45)
thurs = shorter but harder 1hr
fri = easy ride or straight home
sat = rest day (no riding/ family day!)
sun = 5+ hrs winter, 9+hrs summer 35- 90mi)

above is vague, days change & intensity. this week doing shorter, but considerably more intensive rides. last week did longer/ slower :)
I'm not in it for the miles tho, init for the smiles :D

That is good , I wish i had motivation to do all that .

Do you race ?

You must be fit enough to enter national races , or even international races .

I used to race a lot. other priorities now (wife, full time job & child!)
did 2 races last yr. 1 enduro & 1 xc. 4th in sport. not too bad given it was my first race since 99!

I honestly prefer all day rides, kinda lucky living with black mountains & brecon beacons on my doorstep :) More than welcome to tag along (open invite to all :D

Back