What was Your teen bike dream? Is the reality as good?

Interestingly Pace seems to be cropping up much more than I would have expected in this thread. Well no not really I would have expected to have seen the Attitudes and Yetis and Fats getting equal coverage.

Not surprisingly I quite fancied an Attitude (green, white and red) with some Nuke Proof hubs that was built up in Harry Halls (stop sniggering at the back, those hubs looked good, even if they weren't)

Then quite fancied a Marin Indian Fire Trail - the original monster polished tubes with green decals.

Then the Pace fetish came out, and it just got worse. Until one day I got a hefty tax rebate and the rest was history.

Is it as good as I thought? Hell yes!

hey all, i always wanted a merlin ti, they always had the most understated adverts in the magazines, and the quietest decals. bought my first last year, a modern oreas, couldnt bring myself to get an xlm, too scared of denting it as i ride quite hard. then earlier this year i rescued an older mountain from the 'bay, the ones i used to lust over, and shes lovely! i have nearly finished rebuilding her, just waiting to get the saddle back from the menders. will post some pics in the readers rides index soon!

kanerdog1x1":2em0kkz0 said:
couldnt bring myself to get an xlm, too scared of denting it as i ride quite hard.

I think they are pretty tough, never dented mine and have seen one with a thumb deep dent in the seatstay under the boss! And apparently Merlin ok'd it as safe to ride and not needing repair! They are proper light which is a nice foundation for a superlight bike, but Oreas are lovely - and let's be honest, not an awful lot more weight.

My dream was always a Merlin and yup - dream is good as the reality! Better even.

Rich":3o19cb68 said:
Pace RC100 - Retrobikeguy - what were you thinking when you sold it!

:cry: was thinking I had a cat in hells chance of winning a trimble frame off ebay...............................I didn't, and I passed on bidding on the steel GT with the browning suspension for it as well. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Teen Dream bike?

Mountain Bikes hadn't been bloody well invented when I was a teen!

I was about 26 or 27 when I first heard of them, incredibly enough it was a short film on Tomorrows World about these new fangled inventions from the States, described as BMX for Grown ups :D

Had a brief lust after a Fisher Hoo-Koo-E-Koo 'cos it was in the first mountain bike shop I ever went in but only because it seemed so ludicrously expensive at £700 back then so "must have been good".

I then set my heart on either a Pace (yes me too) or a Cannondale.

I was 30 before I got the 'dale and still have it but have never even ridden a Pace.

For me :

> KLEIN Adroit or Attitude 1992
> S-WORKS Ultimate 1995
> Ritchey P20 or P21 or P22
> S-WORKS M2 1992

Hmm for me:

yup Pace RC100/200, same as everybody else.
Fats galore (AMP shockabilly, Yo, Ti)
Kona Explosif
Kona Hot
Kona Hei Hei
Manitou FS (yeah nobody knew they cracked back then. Besides, I still want one)
Anything Bontrager

There are loads more I suppose. Haven't got any of them yet! Got the Kilauea because the Explosif was just a few pennies too many. Very happy with it to this day, but it would be so easy to go hunt down everything else. Alas, Amy has other ideas...

What I don't understand is if everyone (seemingly) hankers after a Pace:

a - why aren't you buying them off ebay when they keep cropping up cheap?
b - why are they remaining cheap if demand is high?

The second part is what I don't understand - surely they should be fetching much higher prices if everyone's after them? Fats an Kleins etc are making good money but not the poor old Paces!

Can't speak for anybody else, but my answer to part a) is firstly the missus gets annoyed at the money I spend the bike I already have, and secondly living in Australia is a pain in the arse in regards to getting items like this. Looking at ebay.com.au and then ebay.co.uk upsets me. Lots. :cry:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back