Cool Wall -> Mountain Biking

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Neil":1pydd960 said:
stewlewis":1pydd960 said:
Is the definition of cool what you find fun? What impresses your peers? Or what impresses the opposite sex?
I'd say what the general public / society, perceives as cool - and I think in fairness, when mountain biking first came to the public's attention, probably how it was perceived.

If it needs explaining to them, it ain't cool - which is why modern-day mountain biking ain't cool.

If it looks like a group of nerds discussing Star Trek on usenet, in the early 90s, then it ain't cool - which in fairness, is probably what most people would think about a group of aging cyclists / mtb-ers discussing it on retrobike.

I'm just saying...

It's not, Cool is my perception. Not what other tell me is cool.
Though you'll see the cool wall is here to tell you what is cool, but not me. You're luck, I have to think for myself :(

EDIT/ of course none of the whipper snappers see anything as Cool. Everything nowadays need to be Kewl ;)

I didn't get into Mountainbiking until 93 and thought it was cool then and still now. Most people I know just didn't get it (apart from the 1 or 2 I converted) and thought it was ridiculous spending THAT much money on a bike or part. They had their beer, I had mountainbikes!!!
I only did the lycra thing for a short while, a few months. Just thought I looked totally foolish. The shorts looked good imo (Specialized fluro yellow with 3M tyre tread print up the back :cool: ) just not on me.
Then it was out with the baggy shorts and long-sleeve t's. I felt comfy, enjoyed riding, got a few strange looks off the lycra-clad crew but I didn't care as I was having fun and time alone to relax.
I still ride in baggys and long-sleeve tops. The only thing really to change for me is my waistline :LOL: and the bike I use.
So after all that faffing about, I'd say cool then, cool now.

Voted uncool on this one

I think BITD it was cool, kind of cutting edge etc but gradually it's become more tech/nerdy to the point where you get sniffed at if you have lowly XT on your bike and you not running the right spring rates & sag and that frankly is s**t.

I BMX and have skateboarded for years and in contrast to those to I'd say from the outsiders POV MTB wouldn't be classed as cool really. Still never as dull/uncool as road biking though :D

Cool

What could be cooler than 150 guys in fluro pink, yellow, green lycra waiting to ride their mismatched anodised bikes of purple, red, faded pinkish coloured bikes of different shapes and profiles?
Picture the scene........frightning looking back at it, but anything cooler? I think not.
It seems cooler in my head when I think back to riding at home in OZ, if I put that pic in my head regarding Scotland where I currently reside, it is hard to get the same 'atmosphere' when the scene is misty rain and mud.
Did you get fluoro wool?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Jamie

I'd say what the general public / society, perceives as cool - and I think in fairness, when mountain biking first came to the public's attention, probably how it was perceived.

If it needs explaining to them, it ain't cool - which is why modern-day mountain biking ain't cool.

If it looks like a group of nerds discussing Star Trek on usenet, in the early 90s, then it ain't cool - which in fairness, is probably what most people would think about a group of aging cyclists / mtb-ers discussing it on retrobike.

Yep agree with that .

FluffyChicken":1tt1u08f said:
Neil":1tt1u08f said:
stewlewis":1tt1u08f said:
Is the definition of cool what you find fun? What impresses your peers? Or what impresses the opposite sex?

I'm just saying...
It's not, Cool is my perception. Not what other tell me is cool.
Though you'll see the cool wall is here to tell you what is cool, but not me. You're luck, I have to think for myself :(
That's not what I'm saying.

I'm not saying it's for other people to tell us / them / whoever, it's merely a communal "take" on something.

I'm sure the nerds discussing Star Trek on usenet in the early 90s, thought it was cool, too, doesn't necessarily make it so, though.

Minority groups selectively deciding what makes something cool means precisely zero, outside of that minority group - whereas at least Clarkson's take was at least paying lip service to what society in general would opine (even if it was really just his opinion).

Something truly cool, has some ubiquitous nature that needs no explanation to non-enthusiasts.

:LOL:

....I just wasted my life.....mountain bikes were a side note ;)

It's all a matter of perspective though, surely anything that is considered cool by the majority of people is no longer cool. But if you are enthusiastic about something your perception of it as cool may be skewed by your direct involvement in it....

I think the next coolwall should be "the coolwall", then when it's voted uncool its name should be changed to the 'RADwall', because how radical something is a much better measure of how cool something is than how cool people think something is......................clearly.

Neil G":1gg3m936 said:
Still never as dull/uncool as road biking though :D

OH so true. What a group. I'd have never taken up cycling if that was the only bike. I tried to join a road club :shock: Only once. My bike didn't fit in and nor did i.

John":34kaypf6 said:
Becasue i know how most would vote when confronted with a 40 year old dressed in a s********** jersey on a £4K ti bike with mismatched wheels.

I would have hoped I would get some votes.... ;) :LOL:

Back