Reliability Ride this Sunday - North Shrop/Powys

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
There is a brilliant reliability ride this Sunday from Llanyblodwell village hall organised by Oswestry Paragon.

Llanyblodwell is close to Oswestry - north-west Shropshire.

There is a 70 miler which starts about 9.30am and a 50 miler starting about 10.30am.

The route starts in Shropshire, but then veers west into Powys.

The countryside is fantastic , the roads are quiet and there will certainly be a few tough climbs - I'm only doing the 50 miler; on my (t)rusty 40 year old Ellis Briggs.

Oswestry Paragon - one of my old clubs!

The team in 1970. As far as I know, only Bob James isn't still involved with the sport now.

Nigel found this cutting in his Mum's things after she passed away.

The current club is MUCH larger than it was then!

Wish I could come over and ride the event but no chance!

Have a good'un! (and remember me to anyone who knows me)

EDIT - just realised that this photo will be 40 years old in September!! How time flies when you're enjoying yourself ;)

Attachments

• OswestryParagon1970.A.jpg
    OswestryParagon1970.A.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,114
Old Ned":34l975iq said:
Oswestry Paragon - one of my old clubs!

The team in 1970. As far as I know, only Bob James isn't still involved with the sport now.

Nigel found this cutting in his Mum's things after she passed away.

The current club is MUCH larger than it was then!

Wish I could come over and ride the event but no chance!

Have a good'un! (and remember me to anyone who knows me)

EDIT - just realised that this photo will be 40 years old in September!! How time flies when you're enjoying yourself ;)

That's a great pic - I will take a copy to the run ! The bikes look much like the one that I'll be riding. I live in Trefonen which is close to the star; gonna be tough cycling back up Blodwell Bank afterwards though.

Ta for taking the trouble to respond.

Andy

The Oswestry road races used to finish up Blodwell bank, the finish line was in Trefonen. If there was still a bunch at the bottom there certainly wasn't at the top! Various circuits around and through the Tanat Valley and also a 25 mile TT course that started near the level crossing, went left through Llanymynech to turn, back and then left up the Tanat valley to turn and retrace. I only rode it once in around 1963 or 64.

BTW, I've tried to get on the Oswestry Paragon website this afternoon but it wouldn't load. Is it still up and running?

If you take the photo, someone might know me!

If they're old enough.

Old Ned":29qro5bf said:
The Oswestry road races used to finish up Blodwell bank, the finish line was in Trefonen. If there was still a bunch at the bottom there certainly wasn't at the top! Various circuits around and through the Tanat Valley and also a 25 mile TT course that started near the level crossing, went left through Llanymynech to turn, back and then left up the Tanat valley to turn and retrace. I only rode it once in around 1963 or 64.

BTW, I've tried to get on the Oswestry Paragon website this afternoon but it wouldn't load. Is it still up and running?

If they're old enough.

The Oswestry Paragon site has been down for some time. I'm not a member; partly cos I'm more of a runner than a cyclist and also because the Paragon club seems to only do time trials - Gobowen to Queen's Head and back. I've no inclination to do time trials, especially when there is such good countryside about.

By the way, you might know the pub that my family owned for nearly 30 years; until they sold it two years ago - The Last Inn at Hengoed.

Last time I did the run was two years ago, it was organised by a chap called Malcolm Tudor - seemed a really sound guy. I WILL certainly take the pic on Sunday morning - I'll get back to you if anyone knows you.

Old Ned":359uzl7w said:

If they're old enough.

There may be a couple that'll know you; tell you what, most of them are still quick riders.

Last time I did it, there was an elderly chap called John Atkins - a former cyclocross champ - I think, still a class athlete.

On Sunday, I'll be going round with a running mate; he is at least 75, but I'll have to try quite hard not to let him get away. He is one of those irritating people with bags of natural talent - he's a great runner and a brilliant cyclist. His name is Mick Ward and I believe that in the 50s he was the National 50 mile champion. He once told me that he did 24 hour time trial; he was really disappointed, cos he did 479.5 miles - thus just missing out on averaging 20mph for 24hrs. I bet he'd have done it on a modern bike.

Like I say, it is the 'silver foxes' that worry me; of course, it ain't a race but the pace does 'pick up' at times. :D

Mick Ward, John Atkins!!!!

You're in class company there!

I know John Atkins was in North Wales and had a bike shop somewhere in the Caernarvon area(?) but didn't know Mick Ward was around there also.

John Atkins was multiple national cyclo-cross champion for years and years, no-one could touch him. Mick Ward was 50 champion in 1956, 1958 and 1959 and 25 champion in 1958.

Terrific riders both of them.

I do remember the Last Inn. Everyone in Denbighshire used to drive there on a Sunday to get a drink when the pubs were closed in Wales.

If Alan Dorricot is still around he should remember me.

Thanks for the invite but it's the VCC Classic Rally in Whalley that weekend.

However, never say never etc. etc.

Let me have a look at the route - that might make the decision for me!

Back